Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter warm up required??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

docdeb27

M3 LR AWD Pearl White Prem Int.
Aug 16, 2018
SHOREHAM
I just picked up my M3, yeah. Love it to death and am concerned about the warm up required if outside temp is below 40. I am a volunteer firefighter and often in the dead of winter have to jump in the middle of the day or night at the siren and not warm up at all. Mt M3 is garaged but it can get cold in there. Is this damaging to my car? what can I do?

THE BMS will handle that for you.
Just keep an eye on the battery level or keep it plugged in permanently and you`ll not experience any battery damage.
Just know that the efficiency on short trips in winter is pretty garbage, so don`t be surprised if the power-cost is not what you might expect.

...warm up..

Owners' battery warmup is optional and not required. If the battery is not warmed up, you would have:

1) Lower or no regen: That means when you let your foot up, the car keeps gliding as if it's in Neutral Gear and it does not hold you back.

2) Higher energy consumption: No regen means the energy is wasted and not put back to your battery.

Reactions: docdeb27
The motor doesn't need any warm up at all and doesn't get damaged in any way when driven ice cold. The battery has a power limit depending on how cold it is. But it's nothing you need to worry about either. The car won't allow you to draw more power from the main battery than it can handle. So again no chance to damage it or cause a negative long term effect. ICE engines have hundreds of moving parts that don't work so well in cold temperatures. An EV doesn't have that issue.\
As others have said, regenerative braking can be reduced or completely disabled when the battery is very cold. Again, not a sign of any issue or causing damage. That's just a downside of Lithium batteries. They can't accept being charged (regen is charging) when they are too cold.

Reactions: docdeb27
The car can handle more than a cold garage. My 3 and S have experienced cold soaking in the 0-20F temps sitting outside while I'm at work. Car is fine. There's no regen initially, but it comes back after 10-15min of driving. Range is significantly reduced because some power is being diverted to warm the batteries, batteries themselves are not efficient at low temps, and the air is way denser, causing more aerodynamic drag.