Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheel and tire package delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi forum,

I ordered the wheel and tire package for my plaid approximately 6 weeks ago and scheduled install at tesla. They have since delayed 3 times saying part not available. I am now scheduled for next week. I am concerned as I am in an area where temps are now often in the 30s and can’t safely be on summers much longer.
Anyone have luck in getting them installed? What recourse do I have if they keep pushing me back through winter?

Thanks!

How did you order them? It has shown "out of stock" since at least May. I had my local tire store phone Pirelli and they said they might be available in February, so I imagine it might be the same for Tesla.
Instead I ordered the Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV from America's Tire Store. They arrived and will be installed on the brand new "Take off" wheels and Summer tires I got on Craigslist. Nice to have a extra set of Summers. I think the Nokian tires were around $1800 for 4
255 /45 R19 104T XL BSW
NOK HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV
Item# 000000000000117551

Order
Quantity​

Qty: 2​

285 /40 R19 107T XL BSW
NOK HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV
Item# 000000000000117552

Order
Quantity​

Qty: 2​

Hi forum,

I ordered the wheel and tire package for my plaid approximately 6 weeks ago and scheduled install at tesla. They have since delayed 3 times saying part not available. I am now scheduled for next week. I am concerned as I am in an area where temps are now often in the 30s and can’t safely be on summers much longer.
Anyone have luck in getting them installed? What recourse do I have if they keep pushing me back through winter?

Thanks!
I ordered a set for my MX and got the same delay. Ordered Sept, supposed to install tomorrow but delayed to mid Dec. Canadian order

Ordered (and paid!) on September 15, original install date October 31, second install date December 9, now moved to December 20.

I'm not optimistic ... but at least now that I can't drive my car it's clean and salt free.

Ordered (and paid!) on September 15, original install date October 31, second install date December 9, now moved to December 20.

I'm not optimistic ... but at least now that I can't drive my car it's clean and salt free.
Don’t take this to seriously.

But for 19” winter tires I got info that they were back ordered until February.

Also I spoke to someone at Tesla that their peak inventory on snows is summer and by October they are out for the season. That’s the opposite of what Tirerack said that they won’t be in until Nov and I was calling in September.

Also one online shop that handles Canada and USA said they had the tires in the Canada distribution center but none in any US distribution center.

I gave up and bought them on eBay from Europe. Paid a fortune but at least I have them now.

I suspect it’s a “supply chain issue” and is also the reason we ended up with summer tires in the first place.

You can get Nokian 19” snows in the correct size, load and staggered. Almost wish I went for those because my demands for bad driving conditions just went up. I move from burbs in MA to the sticks in NH (dirt road that snow blows off the lake on to the road for days on end).

Don’t take this to seriously.

But for 19” winter tires I got info that they were back ordered until February.

Also I spoke to someone at Tesla that their peak inventory on snows is summer and by October they are out for the season. That’s the opposite of what Tirerack said that they won’t be in until Nov and I was calling in September.

Also one online shop that handles Canada and USA said they had the tires in the Canada distribution center but none in any US distribution center.

I gave up and bought them on eBay from Europe. Paid a fortune but at least I have them now.

I suspect it’s a “supply chain issue” and is also the reason we ended up with summer tires in the first place.

You can get Nokian 19” snows in the correct size, load and staggered. Almost wish I went for those because my demands for bad driving conditions just went up. I move from burbs in MA to the sticks in NH (dirt road that snow blows off the lake on to the road for days on end).
Yep. I can advise anyone not to expect their winter set soon. As a recap, I ordered mine within minutes of them being listed in stock on Tesla's site in late 2021, and they still took ~6 months to be delivered.

Happy to say, I'm getting the tires tomorrow, December 16 ... better late than never!