Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheel swap: remember to wake your TPMS sensors!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swapped my wheels to original Aero wheels (and (Year 2018) TPMS sensors) with winter tires. Topped off tires from around 30 psi to over 40 psi. Drove around but TPMS sensors never showed up (-- PSI). Tried various forced resets and drove longer and finally the TPMS system threw an error. The internet has a bunch of bogus information such as waiting, blah blah blah. Well my theory is that all my sensors were asleep. I lowered all the tire pressures to low 20 PSI and then quickly back up to above 42+ and boom within ~1 mile of driving the car found all my TPMS sensors (with the new wheels popup message). Posted so hopefully others don't waste their time like I did.

Hmm, I might need to try this. I picked up my M3P over the weekend and drove straight to Discount Tire to put on winter wheel/tire set with new TPMS sensors (purchased from Tesla SC). I thought I just had to wait it out but it's been a few days and a couple hundred miles now. I wonder what would happen if you did just 1, would just that 1 show up and the other 3 still "asleep" for lack of better words.

I have a 2021 3 and swapped out wheels and cannot reset the tpm. I will try to lower air pressure and then reinflate and see if that helps. But I am not confident. The service people at Tesla are not very smart. I realize all they do is click a mouse to try to see what your problem is and then tell you to do the same thing you have already done. They really do not diagnose a problem at all. Even the service app is difficult to navigate as it keeps bringing up the past problem. You have to click "other" in order to insert a new issue. I think the Tesla people are too busy trying to put in fart sounds on the computer instead of writing a good service tree.

I have a 2021 3 and swapped out wheels and cannot reset the tpm. I will try to lower air pressure and then reinflate and see if that helps. But I am not confident.
Are you 100% sure the new wheels are compatible with the newer Tesla TPMS? Tesla changed TPMS in 2020 and they aren't cross compatible, so you might have the older TPMS senders on those wheels.

Have the wheels you are using EVER worked on your car?

I now know the answer. Tesla changed the sensors after 2018 and my 3 is a 2021. I was using older wheels and tires. It will cost $75 to change the sensor in each wheel. It is much cheaper to just buy standard tires and put on the original wheels and use it that way. Tesla delar wants $350 for each tire replacemnt. The delar told me tha the blue tooth sensors will only last about 3 or 4 years so be prepared to spend $300 or so to change the sensors. I would just dirve the car with the tpm light on but the wife wants it fixed. I drove for the past 50 years with no tire warning light I think I can go another 50 without the light. Tesla is no different than any other car maker, get what you can form the consumer no matter what. I guess the Muskrat needs the money.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
To clarify the comments above: your car will recognize the blue tooth but not the older rf type sensors. The were made obsolete in 2018. All Tesla would have to do is to program their computer to recognize either one, but no, Tesla woudl rather spend time and money putting fart sounds in the car or making games easier to play. I can't wait for m y Ford Lightning to arrive so I can s**it can the Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
To clarify the comments above: your car will recognize the blue tooth but not the older rf type sensors. The were made obsolete in 2018. All Tesla would have to do is to program their computer to recognize either one,
The change was on October 5th, 2020, not 2018.
They changed the actual hardware, so they cannot "just program the car" to read either sensor. One is 2.4GHz, one is 433 MHz.
There's a lot to be annoyed about when it comes to Tesla, but this isn't it.
FYI, there is no evidence the new sensors will be dead in 3-4 years. Most TPMS senders last 10+.

Reactions: skiwhmts