Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels and tyres for Model 3 and Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this goes on a bit and I know there are other threads out there but I thought this might cross over a few?

A little history, I've fitted winter wheels and tyres to my last few cars for about the past 10 years. Usually an eBay second-hand purchase of matching wheels, sometimes a size smaller (18" over 19" originals) and then fitted whatever is in the top 3 of new winter tyres. Swap them end October to about end Feb, maybe later depending on weather obviously.

Anyhow, for the new M3 and MY (details in sig) I thought I'd start the research to do the same. Problems apparent quite quickly, no second hand MY wheels and most M3 wheels expensive and not in considerably good condition. I won't be taking chances with potentially damaged/cracked rims on any car let alone a >£50k super-fast car...

I then started to look around to see if there were any non-Tesla wheels I could fit? The only stipulation was that they had to be exactly the same size/profile/offset as detailed in the manual. I wasn't planning on messing around with spacers or anything technical. Also, I wanted the original tyre sizes albeit I was dropping a size on both cars so the M3 19" sport were going to be replaced with 18" and the MY 20" inductions were being replaced with a set of 19". All in the name of cost saving with tyres.

So, after a little lengthy research I settled on these

As you can see these are Tesla specific and fit both cars in their respective sizes. A little more research and a visit to a certain supplier in the middle of the country for a chat proved fruitful with a healthly discount on the first set and then another on the second set. If you want the guys details then DM me.

Tyres were also a challenge, forgetting the T0 argument going around I wanted the best tyres and not necessarily the most expensive which is what the T0 is all about IMO. If they were comparable pricewise I would perhaps have considered, briefly...

Again, exactly the same profile as the originals so there is no issue or impact on driving. For the M3 I chose the Continental TS 870P from RAC/ASDA tyres. The MY proved a lot more difficult owing to their size being less than popular. Choices were limited but settled on ATS who had several including the T0 Pirellis that were £100 more expensive per tyre than the others. Stock issues caused a hiccup but ended up settling on Goodyear Ultragrip Performance + of which they do sell in T0 format, although these aren't them. Still exactly the same in every other respect.

So photos...

Gloss Dark Grey on the M3 to match the MSM paint and Gloss Black on the MY to be similar to the inductions. I need to change the centre caps on the M3 as forgot when I fitted them. I bought these and the black lug nut covers off Amazon for about 12 quid.

Oh yes and I also purchased the TPMS from Tesla for both sets and these autoconfigured in a 10 minute drive after resetting the wheel and tyre configurations in settings. This proved a challenge to convince the fitters it was possible. Believe me it works. How it knows which wheel is where is beyond me though?

As regards insurance, I contacted them many years ago and got little interest so ever since I've not bothered. Again argue away, I'm happy with my position on this and won't be calling up.

If anyone is interested and wants to know anything more including costs etc I'm happy to go into this?
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0408.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg

i run 20" vossen as my summer and got the 19" sports as the winters, i dont care about specific T0 tyres as i put normal PS4's on my summer wheels, as long as there load rated and speed rated i cant see it being an issue.

The costs soon mount up though once you factor in another set of tyre pressure sensors.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
I’d be interested in the costs/setup for the MY as well. I’ve a set of 19“ winter tyres on order from Tesla. Had the same troubles as you finding appropriate tyres. Tesla quoted about 245 per tyre for the Pirelli. That’s not cheap, but cheaper than online prices. (I paid 74 per all season tyre for our ICE car…)

I’m still unsure about the wheels. Considering swapping tyres only keeping the same wheel. Prob not the best for the tyres but cheaper than new wheels. So curious about your experience in this regards

I’d be interested in the costs/setup for the MY as well. I’ve a set of 19“ winter tyres on order from Tesla. Had the same troubles as you finding appropriate tyres. Tesla quoted about 245 per tyre for the Pirelli. That’s not cheap, but cheaper than online prices. (I paid 74 per all season tyre for our ICE car…)

I’m still unsure about the wheels. Considering swapping tyres only keeping the same wheel. Prob not the best for the tyres but cheaper than new wheels. So curious about your experience in this regards
I did think about doing the swap process to save buying wheels and TPMS but depending on where you go and what deals they offer you I have paid £15 per tyre for a swap so £60 each time making it £120 per year for 2 rotations. Over 4 years... you can do the maths. So to me that was like rental and throw away money. Each set of winter wheels I've bought previously I've sold on so got well over half my original purchase price at least.

That's why I decided to go the separate wheels route... oh and I can then change them over whenever I want without having to book in at the local tyre place, do the drop off, then the collection etc.

I'll do a separate post on the costs

Simple rounded price breakdown

TPMS £70 each from Tesla = £280
MY 19" wheels cost me £800, deal price!!
Tyres ATS £830

Total cost £1910

When a set of 20" Pilot Sport EV's come in around £1200 fitted on Blackcircles that's almost a £400 saving on one set swap. Depending on how long they all last then maybe I'll break even in 4 years and a couple of changes??

I did think about doing the swap process to save buying wheels and TPMS but depending on where you go and what deals they offer you I have paid £15 per tyre for a swap so £60 each time making it £120 per year for 2 rotations. Over 4 years... you can do the maths. So to me that was like rental and throw away money. Each set of winter wheels I've bought previously I've sold on so got well over half my original purchase price at least.

That's why I decided to go the separate wheels route... oh and I can then change them over whenever I want without having to book in at the local tyre place, do the drop off, then the collection etc.

I'll do a separate post on the costs
My local garage quoted me 85-90 per swap….

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob
Took me a while, but ended up at the same tyre as you @ElectricPolice (Goodyear Ultragrip Perf pro) but on OEM wheels. I’m happy with the looks but the tyre is quite stretched in width, causing the rim to protrude. If I’d know in advance I’d have chosen a different tyre though. I can already feel the curb rash coming…

I get your point, they are the same on my MSW wheels, but unfortunately there was no other option as there were no other wheels available at the time.

Further research did reveal a few other options after mine were fitted, but they were significantly more expensive and I wouldn't know if they would be any better without seeing them fitted?

Supply and demand I guess... know anyone else who bases a business model on that but gets ripped to shreds for it ;)

I get your point, they are the same on my MSW wheels, but unfortunately there was no other option as there were no other wheels available at the time.

Further research did reveal a few other options after mine were fitted, but they were significantly more expensive and I wouldn't know if they would be any better without seeing them fitted?

Supply and demand I guess... know anyone else who bases a business model on that but gets ripped to shreds for it ;)
Sorry, did not mean to criticise your choice of tyres in any way. To be honest, I chose the tyres as those were the cheapest at ATS. Only when I reread your post I realised we got the same.

I do agree with all you said.

That's okay, I didn't take your comment as anything negative👍

I wanted the Conti's TBH as I have on my M3, I didn't want the Pirelli's but as the GY's were the only one's available immediately that sealed the deal.

Glad they're on the car currently as I don't know what the weather will do next and at least I know I've got decent tyres for cold weather which has to be better than any summer tyre combo?

Good luck avoiding curb rash...

Reactions: ThornOfCamorr
yeah exactly.
I grew up in Austria where it is standard to have summer and winter tyres (required by law). When I started driving in the UK I was rather surprised that people carelessly drive their summer tyres at temperatures below 7 degrees, even through ice and snow. Granted the expense for a second set of wheels but also the hassle of storing and swapping them twice a year doesn’t feel worth it for those few winter days you get here. That’s why IMO all season tyres like the CrossClimate give you the best compromise.

Unfortunately my Y is leased. They want to have the car back the same as they provided me. So I could buy all season tyres, run them down but would still need to keep the original tyres to put them back on the car when the lease ends. Also the lease covers tyre damage, but ofc only on the original tyres. Hence I decided to get a second set with winter tyres. Most of the year I’ll still run the summer tyres which also reduces the wear on the winter tyres. Once the lease is up I can either sell the winter tyres and additional wheels, or with a bit of luck they will fit the next car. Time will tell.

I've just asked Tesla for a quote for winter tyres and wheels for my MYLR 2022 and whether they can be fitted in the next couple of weeks. Tried Mr Winter Wheels but couldn't supply the TPMS.
Rochford Tyres said they could help in Essex (I'm in London) but nervous to trust an independent.
Tesla of course said they couldn't recommend any third parties.
I'll update this message later.

I've just asked Tesla for a quote for winter tyres and wheels for my MYLR 2022 and whether they can be fitted in the next couple of weeks. Tried Mr Winter Wheels but couldn't supply the TPMS.
Rochford Tyres said they could help in Essex (I'm in London) but nervous to trust an independent.
Tesla of course said they couldn't recommend any third parties.
I'll update this message later.

If Tesla aren't able to fit, in time, what about: Buy a set of rims (from Tesla if you like) and get your local tire fitter to put the right rubber on them. If your local place will fit rubber that you have bought, for a fee, you could try Camskill - I've had plenty of tyres off them, over the years, at a keen price.

Personally I think buying Winter Tyres in November is late in the year - in the past I've had great difficulty getting replacement rubber for a puncture in a winter tyre (in mid Winter)

Stock for 255/45/19 has dwindled recently. I was keen to put a set of winter tyres on my Model Y RWD. Plan was to put on winter tyres on a standalone set of rims and change the wheels myself every 6 months or so. Which i have done with all my previous cars. Obviously supply and demand is the problem at the moment.

Was more than happy to downsize to 18's but no company seem happy to supply 18 inch wheels for the model Y due to clearance issues with the brakes / calipers. Obviously people in the US have been able to do this. TSportline can supply wheels but last time i checked import to the UK was silly money. If anyone has had any luck sourcing 18's with clearance feel free to share.