Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels/tires mix with stock wheels/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm new here and will receive my Model 3 Standard RWD next week. I've ordered a new set of wheels Replika R241 18" x 8.5 and winter tires Nokkian Hakka R5 EV (235/45R18).

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to mount my Hakka R5 EV tires on the stock wheels for winter and use the Replica R241 with all-season tires that came with the car. Because those R241 really are looking nice!

What's the impact of regen or battery performance by doing so? For both winter and summer.
Are R241 capable of running in summer with similar battery performance?
Will I be running into issues that somebody might have encountered already?

I live in Quebec, Canada. So a lot of snow in winter and route conditions are pretty rough for 5 months a year.

This will be my first EV, newbie in this.
Thanks in advance.

Given same size and similar weight (I haven't checked), I would guess the Replika R241 should give very similar efficiency as the stock 18x8.5" wheels without their covers. Which is to say, you'll lose a little bit at highway speeds compared to running with the aero covers, but it'll be fine unless are pushing the limits of what your car can do between charges.

Plus, you'll probably see your worst efficiency in winter anyways, so in that sense getting the minor aero wheels/covers benefit in winter seems most beneficial.

Other factors commonly used to pick which set is summer is size and construction, but these wheels are the same size, and both are cast (I assume). So unless the minor aero difference matters to you, it's really just personal aesthetic preference which you use as summer, and which as winter.

(If you think either wheel might be built stronger in some fashion, then maybe choose based on whether you expect more rough hits in your summer or winter driving.)

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I can't find the weight of stock wheels in owner's manuel, but the Replika R241 is 21.2 lbs. Another thing I'm concerned is the regen performance on R241. I've read in another thread some people had poor regen battery efficiency, but it dated 3 years ago. And apparently Tesla had fixed it with a firmware update. So I'm not sure if it is still a thing now.

With the rough winters in Quebec, I don't drive and go around as much as in summer. So what matter for me is efficiency with the all-season tires.

I can't think of any reason why regen wouldn't work just fine with those wheels. I haven't heard of any issues with regen and aftermarket wheels. Lastly I have aftermarket 18x8.5" wheels on my 2021 M3P and have no issues with regen. :)

There is one thing though...it is best to stay close to the stock tire outer diameter. You don't have to match 100% exactly the stock size, heck two different tires that are officially the same size will often have measurable diameter difference. But I strongly suggest staying in the 26.1"-26.9" range. I have come across some reported issues here with the electronic systems not liking diameters smaller than that. (And larger than that risks physical fitment issues with the front knuckle.)

I'm running 245/45R18 on my 18x8.5" wheels, which is slightly larger diameter than any factory Model 3 tire size, but it fits great and zero issues, I like the slightly bigger tire. (Plus Tesla sells an official 245/35R20 wheel+tire combo in the "Track Pack" which is just slightly larger outer diameter than my setup.)

Sorry for late reply, I picked up my car yesterday. Yea!!
The R241 wheels are identical as stock ones as for the dimensions. And Hakka R5 EV tires are 235/45R18, same as all-season tires that came with the car. I think I'll start with stock wheels + winter tires for the first year and next summer go with R241 + all-season tires. And depending how it goes, I'll adjust and swap if needed.

Thanks for all the tips and info. Really appreciated.

Reactions: tm1v2