TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Winter Wheels / Tyres: size advice

Discussion in 'Model S' started by iboy, Aug 28, 2018.

1. iboy

iboy Member

Hello fellow Tesla S owners!

I used to own an Audi Q5 before making the switch to Tesla (ICE owners reading this - you will LOVE the Tesla S, make the switch!)

Anyway I kept my old winter wheels and tyres which are 235/65 R17

Two questions:

1. Will these fit latest Tesla S100 4WD
    2. Would I need winter tyres for hard-core winter use (ie skiing in Alps), I assume yes but LMK

Thanks a lot!

Paul

2. iboy

iboy Member

(Tyres)

Attached Files:

3. tls

tls Member

There's no way a 17" wheel's going to clear the Model S brake rotor even if bolt pattern matches (which would be surprising).

Get a 2nd set of 19" wheels and put Nokian Hakkapellitas on them.

• Like x 1
  4. BigNick

BigNick Member

Agreed, I would try to find a set of the original 5-spoke Tesla 19” wheels and (studded if legal in your area) Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 tires.

The 5-spoke wheels would be easier to clean out than other styles if they become ice- or snow-packed.

5. tls

tls Member

I'd actually recommend against studded tires in most cases. The AWD on the Model S is very good and with the studless Hakkas (R2) we've never run into anything we couldn't handle so long as the car had the clearance for it, including some real goat tracks. Studs are loud and have a real negative impact on dry-pavement handling. For the few cases where they'd really help, you can carry a set of cable chains - though I do, and I've never needed to us those either.

6. iboy

iboy Member

Thanks for your answers everyone, understood