Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Wiper Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
I've seen a number of photos of snow-covered Model S cars and am now wondering how people are finding the windshield wipers in winter conditions. I have noticed they can't be lifted very far off the glass due to interference with the frunk lid (can we call it a hood?) and am wondering if this has been a problem for snow clearing. Also, is anyone putting on special winter wiper blades (this is something I've always done) or do the factory blades work well in the cold/snow/ice?

I've yet to have any problems. Doesn't mean that I won't, but wipers freezing up has yet to be an issue.

One great thing about the Model S is the heater - I start the heater then clear the car off. I find the windshield is starting to melt off before I finish.

If you prewarm the car I doubt you'll ever encounter a frozen wiper issue.

I had my windshield washer jets reaimed today by Toronto service. Will see how they hold up with the next snow fall.
I'm close to the service center, but if you're not, is that something you could do yourself? I've heard it's as simple as putting a pin or sewing needle into the nozzle and swiveling it a bit. I was also wondering if the frunk lid lip was a limiting factor in any way, since the jets come from the under side?

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta get that done. The part of the windshield I don't look through gets cleaned much better than the part I do...

Sometimes in high wind and/or at high speed, washer spray will only hit the lower 1/3 of the windshield. When that happens, I time the spray to hit when the wiper is down, and when it wipes back up it brings the fluid up the windshield with it. That little trick has served me well over the years.

Sometimes in high wind and/or at high speed, washer spray will only hit the lower 1/3 of the windshield. When that happens, I time the spray to hit when the wiper is down, and when it wipes back up it brings the fluid up the windshield with it. That little trick has served me well over the years.

Yes, that's how I've been cleaning my windshield on the S. In dead calm it only hits the lower 1/4 of the windshield.