Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the time of year when this forum starts to get new winter related posts. Thankfully there is already a wealth of information in the forum.
We’ll take it as read that few people read the manual and the advice it contains for cold weather.
Let’s start with probably the most common query as temperatures drop -

Where did my miles go?
Put very simply, batteries don’t like the cold. They like to work at an optimum temperature and your car will do all it can to keep them at this temperature. That means it will use some of the energy in your battery to heat them up and to keep them warm. This obviously uses more energy than in summer when the ambient temperature is higher. It also takes a wee bit of time to get the batteries warm so they will be less efficient before they come up to temperature. You’ll also lose more energy when charging in winter as the batteries have usually got to heat up to charge as efficiently as possible. If you are heading to a Supercharger the car will automatically preheat the battery during your drive. This can seem to be a bit variable, but depends on a host of factors such as outside temp, battery temp, distance etc. Even if you are not heading to a supercharger to charge, you can trick the car into pre-heating by selecting a supercharger as the destination in the navigation. The car should start to preheat and when you arrive at your non-supercharger charger the battery will charge faster due to it being a bit warmer.

Keep an eye out for the snowflake icon on the screen. this indicates that the battery is cold and the car has reserved some of the capacity. You’ll probably notice it when your battery capacity or miles remaining jumps up. This is the car releasing the reserved capacity now that the battery is warm.

Aside from batteries there is at least one other component that likes to stay warm - the driver and possibly passengers. If it’s cold outside more energy will be needed to heat the cabin and therefore there will be less available to drive the wheels. This also applies when you’re sitting in the car while charging.

Also the weather can have an impact on your efficiency too. While in the UK & I we can get heavy rain in the summer, it is much more common in winter and is therefore more noticeable. Thankfully Tesla have started to incorporate the weather in trip range calculations, but I’m not sure it will accommodate the 4 seasons in one day we get here.

What does all this mumbo jumbo mean to you? It means that you will get less range with your car than you did in the summer. There are lots of threads that delve into this deeper if you want to understand how it impacts you.

Incidentally ICE cars are impacted by cold weather as well. They are just so inefficient that the loss due to the cold is less obvious and a lot of the waste is heat which can be quite useful at this time of year.

What Tyres?
As the weather starts to deteriorate people’s thoughts will start to drift (no pun intended) to the best tyres for winter use. If you can afford them and can be bothered with changing them, then winter tyres offer the best performance in sub 7C temperatures. Nowadays though you also have very good all season tyres. Again plenty of threads that deal with the pros and cons of each type and what size is needed for various Tesla models. Just don’t make the mistake this driver did by thinking that AWD makes your car invincible.

Your tyre pressures will also be affected by the cold weather. Pressure drops by about 1-2psi for every 10C drop in air temperature. Therefore if you pumped your tyres up in the summer, by the time winter comes - and don’t forget those cold autumnal mornings - you could see quite a substantial drop in your tyre pressures. It is also not uncommon for each tyre to have different temperatures especially first thing in the morning. I often see this when one side of the car has been heated by the sun and the other is in shade. I’ve even seen just one tyre heated by the sun and the rest at a much lower pressure. Keep an eye on them and follow best practice for winter use.

Windscreen washer
The size of the fluid reservoir can be found in the manual. What you put in it has already been discussed and this is largely a matter of personal choice. What you used in your last car will likely work in your Tesla, it ain’t that special.

Ice, ice baby
Frosty mornings also bring frozen windows, doors, charging ports etc. There are some precautions you can take to mitigate the impact of these, but there are also some good threads in the forum about what can go wrong and how to get in your car if something is frozen.

Cold windows can sometimes lead to condensation on the inside and occasionally ’steam/smoke’ when charging. It’s not unusual for the tail lights in particular to be affected. Lots of posts about what Tesla consider to be ‘within spec’ for this.

You may also hear your car making more noises than usual. This is likely the heat pump moving heat around the car and battery. It’s even mentioned in the manual along with some sample sounds.

If you have an LR or Performance you’ll have 4 wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you can drive like Hannu Mikkola in snow and ice. Without decent tyres, see above, you’ll just slide in a potentially expensive manner. A RWD car with winter/All season tyres will out perform an AWD car with summer tyres in these conditions.

If you have any other links to existing threads then please post them. Most of all, use the search function, it's not our first winter :)

49588601437_2eacee773a_b.jpg

"Tesla Model 3 Bola B16" by Bola Wheels is marked with Public Domain Mark 1.0.
(Note: Above Image added by TMC admin)

I nearly didn’t make it back tonight. Not particularly cold either.
But we howl against the moon, @M1tch , because none of these LR owners understand the sacrifice you have to make for the traffic light Grand Prix. (This is a joke because of course the M3P does not get noticeably more efficient if you drive it like a nun).
I’m currently away from home charging in an NCP at 3kw from Pulse. Good job I don’t have to move until Wednesday

Winter with a Tesla M3P? On tonight’s evidence, 80%=144 miles.
So that is about what? 400wh/m?
based on what? If you are extrapolating from a short journey from cold not at all surprising but not really valid either.
My wife would be like hold my beer on that on her 6 mile journey to work with the heating set on 23degrees :rolleyes:
But if you actually did 144 miles and averaged 400wh/m then I would have to ask what were the conditions and what speed were you driving at because that seems odd?

You probably forgot max heated seats & steering wheel which are an even bigger drain on the battery vs. the heat pump climate. :D
You're right I did.
But I'm pretty sure she won't have forgotten them.
Joking aside though. Heat pump energy is not free, especially on a cold day, so I would imagine that heated seats and steering wheel which probably total no more than 70-100w power output combined for 1 seat + wheel i.e. 0.13% of the battery per hour is still going to be a pretty efficient way to heat the car.

Reactions: pow216
based on what? If you are extrapolating from a short journey from cold not at all surprising but not really valid either.
Based on the journey I'd literally just finished when I posted that.
I would have to ask what were the conditions and what speed were you driving at because that seems odd?
5 degrees ambient, 19.5 degrees inside, single heated seat on full, cruise at 75.

Based on the journey I'd literally just finished when I posted that

Based on a journey that used 70%, or more, of the battery? If not you will do better on an actual single-leg long journey.

I've been driving Tesla since 2015. Back then I did 35K miles a year - plenty of long journeys in winter. With pre-condition (off Mains) before leaving, I used about 10% more juice on single-leg long journeys in Winter than Summer.

But if you need to do travelling-salesman-mode, stopping for an hour to visit a client, multiple times a day, THEN the set-off penalty, with a cold-soaked battery, will be significant.

Reactions: Beady3647
Based on the journey I'd literally just finished when I posted that.

5 degrees ambient, 19.5 degrees inside, single heated seat on full, cruise at 75.
on the side note:
20 degrees inside + seat heater on auto will do better.

and yes, cruising at 72 is still 3rd-4th lane on M1 but would save you few of %

new consumption chart is actually very very good - it tells you more

I just really want to know where it is you can cruise at 75 consistently in the UK so I can go visit!
I was on one this weekend! M6/A74(M) between Junc. 36 and Junc. 15 A74(M) ... and a good distance at either end of that on the same route I should think ... Tebay Services very busy but the Superchargers were coping well with a rapid turnover.

One that might not be covered by the otherwise very extensive first post.

While driving on snow/wintry conditions, would you change the regen braking from the preferred « Hold » to either Creep or Roll?
To reduce any potential chances of skating when releasing the accelerator pedal
Or is this not making any difference?

One that might not be covered by the otherwise very extensive first post.

While driving on snow/wintry conditions, would you change the regen braking from the preferred « Hold » to either Creep or Roll?
To reduce any potential chances of skating when releasing the accelerator pedal
Or is this not making any difference?
The "hold" action only seems to kick in when the car is already at a halt so I wouldn't think it would be a problem (at least I haven't noticed an issue).

it is, by the way, well know that driving on wet surface (read: rain etc) will drastically increase your consumption ;)

in my case, when I have the same ~150 mile trip to work, on wet road and in rain my car can consume like up to 65% of charge, rather than dry ~50% in winter and (as little as) 45% in summer

Reactions: Adopado and Jason71