Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Woes: No heat in my Tesla this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's kind of what I'm wondering.... maybe?! It was still blowing air in the car, it just wasn't getting warm. But maybe at that point things we're still really frozen/clogged up. Need more snowfalls to test I guess! Would be nice to have some sort of a message pop up though if that's the case that lets you know things are not working 100%/

You can test with recirculate instead of fresh air next time... Recirculate and temperature set on HI whould blow hot air.

UPDATE: Heat is working again! Kinda odd... been at the office the last few hours working. Had an email from Tesla that said to check if Range Mode was on (if it was, maybe that was the reason the heat was throttled back). So just pulled open the app to see what the climate temperature was... and it was at 14C. Kinda odd, because it's more like -5C outside.

Walked out to the car and heat is now working again fine. Double checked Range Mode and I did have it set to OFF, so that wasn't the issue.

So yeah... not sure what to think. But A) Heat is working again and B) Not sure what caused it. Maybe just didn't like the foot of snow that was sitting on top of it all night.
Are you saying that the car interior temperature is 14C and the outside ambient temperature is -5C? Assuming your car is left outdoor at work for significant amount of time, it would be unusual to have 14C inside with -5C outside. Your PTC sensor might be in error and reading too high. Having the PTC reading error means it will not turn on heat if your setting is close to or equal to PTC measured temperature. Best to have SC check it out ASAP.

Last edited:
Well, ran into my first *major* annoyance with my P85D this morning. Hopefully it's a minor issue and will correct itself.

Issue: Car wouldn't pre-heat this morning, and on my ride to the office it never warmed up at all either. Normally I use the app to turn on Climate control and let the car warm up to 20C/70F before I leave the house and jump in (yes, I park it outside!). Normally heater works very fast - usually takes ~10 to 15 minutes to go from -5C up to 20C. This morning I did the same as always - the app showed that Climate was on and set to High, but the car never warmed up. Then I drove to the office and the car continued to stay cold. The vents were blowing air... it just never warmed up at all.

The big difference from this morning and other days was the big snowfall we got last night. Is there something here that would disrupt heat from working? I cleaned off the snow before I turned on Climate to pre-heat.

Any advice/tips from Tesla winter drivers appreciated! Thinking I'll just take it through a car wash later and hopefully that will clear out anything that may have gotten blocked up.

I recently had the same thing happen. I went into service and they had to replace the DC-DC converter and then the heat worked properly. If you have heat and then it slowly gets colder, that is the issue with v7. If you have no heat, you have a hardware problem that service needs to look at.

The fact that it came back on it's own is the surprise here, that means the heater itself isn't toast, and the fuses aren't blown.
This leaves 2 options
1) an intermittent hardware issue, only choice is to keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening get it in for service.
2) software glitch (not a "version 7 doesn't provide heat" glitch, but an actual issue), in this case there's the usual advice any time anything on this car doesn't work. First try a re-boot, if that fails, try it again, and if that fails call Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

You seriously need to move to a warmer area. I bet life expectancy is decreased by temps like that. IMO
he hasn't even reported cold yet... just a nice autumn day... wait until winter!

The fact that it came back on it's own is the surprise here, that means the heater itself isn't toast, and the fuses aren't blown.
This leaves 2 options
1) an intermittent hardware issue, only choice is to keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening get it in for service.
2) software glitch (not a "version 7 doesn't provide heat" glitch, but an actual issue), in this case there's the usual advice any time anything on this car doesn't work. First try a re-boot, if that fails, try it again, and if that fails call Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

he hasn't even reported cold yet... just a nice autumn day... wait until winter!
I always say it's not cold until it's -25 degrees.

Hey Kevin, watched your videos, thanks for contributing your voice to the Tesla mission.
Our Tesla was heating sporadically for a few weeks in the fall. I called Tesla service on a Saturday night and they downloaded the logs and found the cabin heater was faulty. Replacement was scheduled within a few days and they provided a rental. Picked up the car same day evening and it has worked great since. Ask Tesla to download the logs and review, you might have the same intermittent heating issue we had, which was hardware related, not software.

I've had no problem with heat at all when it is in the 30's with 7. Except for the fact that the car has never blown enough warm air at my feet since day one, which they actually have the balls to say that it is designed that way. I wonder if it is VIN or model specific.

Hey Kevin, watched your videos, thanks for contributing your voice to the Tesla mission.
Our Tesla was heating sporadically for a few weeks in the fall. I called Tesla service on a Saturday night and they downloaded the logs and found the cabin heater was faulty. Replacement was scheduled within a few days and they provided a rental. Picked up the car same day evening and it has worked great since. Ask Tesla to download the logs and review, you might have the same intermittent heating issue we had, which was hardware related, not software.
A little more problematic for Kev, since he lives in Winnipeg and the nearest service centre for him is Minneapolis.

If it happens again, check the energy app (may need to turn the car on / press the brake first) and see if there's any power consumption. Or, if the car is plugged in, if there's any power being drawn from that (would show in the charging area).

I drove over 200km today, it was about -12C. I had the heater set at 23 or 24 all day and it worked great unless I turned range mode on. I did have to double tap the defroster button two times to clear the side windows, otherwise it was all good.

Next time try bumping the heat up to 24 and see if makes a difference. 20 is too cold for me and we have comparable weather.

A little more problematic for Kev, since he lives in Winnipeg and the nearest service centre for him is Minneapolis.

Question: Will Tesla service Canadian cars at US Service Centers if they're closer? I was thinking if they ever open up a Service Center in Detroit (it's been talked about) then that would be a lot close for someone in, say, Windsor than going all the way to Toronto.

Question: Will Tesla service Canadian cars at US Service Centers if they're closer? I was thinking if they ever open up a Service Center in Detroit (it's been talked about) then that would be a lot close for someone in, say, Windsor than going all the way to Toronto.
Given the way Michigan treats Tesla, maybe they should do the opposite: put a Service Center in Windsor and let the Detroiters cross over.

wow, the same thing happened to me yesterday morning on the way to work...the vents just blow cold air regardless of temperature setting. This is actually the 2nd time this has happened to me since buying my Model S. I called customer service and they acted like they have come across this issue before and that I should make an appointment with my local service center to get it checked out.

FWIW, the heat worked fine on my drive back home in the evening.