Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winters, S rims 19s with 245-55 R19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, Wisconsin, so BIG fan of Winter Only tires. Current choice was a rec from my Canadian Friends, the Nokian R3s and R3 SUV.

I ALWAYS try to go as narrow as possible while keeping overall diameter the same as stock.

My X has 265 20s front and 275 20s rear. Way too wide for best snow performance. Tesla doesn't sell the X winter package in 19s anymore, but it is still an option on the tough screen, so the car would know I went non-staggered.

Want to minimize range loss, and a 19 narrower tire is also better, but not expecting the world, any bit helps.

I found a set of 2020 S 19" Tempest rims, the ones with the aero cover. They are 8.5" wide, where stock is X 9 and 9.5. 35mm offset matches the 20s. S and X used same brakes so should fit. (Looking at the Tempest over the S Slipstream that cosmetically matches what is on the X now, because the Tempests are 8.5" wide with a 35mm offset where the S slipstreams are 8" with 40mm offset. So the Tempest will match the location in the wheel well nicely.)

As narrow as can go on that rim is a 245. At 55 aspect ratio, diameter comes in right in the middle of the stock 265s and 275s, so good to go. Load on the Hakkas is 107XL, stock is 108XL and 110XL, but looking at the ratings, and curb weight, each tire has 253 lbs safety factor over stock (rears, fronts even better)

Only concern, and I know people will tell me not to do it, is the S rim has an unpublished load capacity. IF I were to load the X to max, I MAY be over the wieght of the rim. (S curb 4886, X curb 5630. Of per tire = 186 LBS. About 10% of assumed rim load). I have a hard time believing a stock rim doesn't have a 10% safety factor. Some after market P.O.S. from who knows where, maybe. Plus, I don't ever see putting that much in the X.

The stock rims are NOT light at close to 30-35 LBS. Aftermarket that are rated are as low as 23LBS, so the extra mass should make the stock rim strong.

Just wish we knew the official ratings on the S rims.

Last edited:
In snow, narrower and taller THE BETTER. If I could get 235s that would be weight rated, I would go with them. Experience (and the internet) show a wide tire 'floats' on snow, where narrow goes down, through the snow and gives better traction.

Had a small Saturn SC2 20 years ago with 205 stock tires. Down sized to 185x80 (narrow and tall) and that thing was pretty unstopable, Could go through snow with banks coming over the hood. As long as kept momentum up, didn't run out of too much road clearance, would bite and go, bite and go. Very impressive.

Key is playing with the rim size and aspect ratio to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

Gone down from 215 to 195 on Volt right now and also impressive as the stock Michellins sucked on ice/snow!

i think you're overthinking it. in theory you are correct, but in practice? i don't think it matters on a 6k lb car. i suspect you will run into tire load issues.

i run the hakkapeliittas on my ford f350 in the OEM tire size (275/65/20) and have never been in a situation where I thought I'd want a narrower tire.

Dammit this is exaclty what I want to do except I'll probably stick with 265/50-19's. Let us know how it goes. I want the Tempest wheels because they're the correct 19" OEM size 8.5" ET35, same as the old OE 19's for the Model S. No spacers, and I want the aerocovers bceause I'm an enormous nerd

If I were you I'd stick with a 255/50 or 265/50 to get the load range of the tire up, and for more meat to absorb bigger hits and rim damage. The wheels, I seriously doubt would be an issue. GVWR on the S is well over the the weight of a moderately loaded X (just under 6000lb). Plenty of people running around on Model S wheels without reported issues. As soon as you start adding 500lb of tongue weight to the rear axle on the X and all the other associated towing forces, that's where I'd start to wonder

But 245/55-19 seems like a fine choice if ultimate snow performance is a priority, and it sounds like it is. I don't think you're crazy to try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FirstInTown
Dammit this is exaclty what I want to do except I'll probably stick with 265/50-19's. Let us know how it goes. I want the Tempest wheels because they're the correct 19" OEM size 8.5" ET35, same as the old OE 19's for the Model S. No spacers, and I want the aerocovers bceause I'm an enormous nerd

If I were you I'd stick with a 255/50 or 265/50 to get the load range of the tire up, and for more meat to absorb bigger hits and rim damage. The wheels, I seriously doubt would be an issue. GVWR on the S is well over the the weight of a moderately loaded X (just under 6000lb). Plenty of people running around on Model S wheels without reported issues. As soon as you start adding 500lb of tongue weight to the rear axle on the X and all the other associated towing forces, that's where I'd start to wonder

But 245/55-19 seems like a fine choice if ultimate snow performance is a priority, and it sounds like it is. I don't think you're crazy to try it.
Thanks for this! I also want the aero covers because don't think they look that bad, and winter, we need all the range help we can get. Plus in Wis, a dirty, frozen slush car is almost a guarantee. Can't keep them clean!

Look at the Nokian R3 SUV. Load range is 107XL, close to the 108XL (front ) and 110XL(rear). And a search shows the 107 is good for 2149 LBS. The gross X loaded is 1620lbs front each and 1896lbs rear each at fully loaded 6788 LBS, so plenty of capacity. Plus its winter, the tires will be cool, no 110 deg desert runs will EVER happen. And winter, so no trailer or 500 lbs will be attached to car.

And the 245s are a 55 aspect, so same side wall as the 255/50s, so rim damage shouldn't be any worse.

As soon as I get a deal on the aeros, I'm doing this. Didn't know X owners were running around on S rims. Glad to hear.

FYI, The cheapest place for theHakkapillita R3 SUV was WallyWorld of all places. Under $200/tire and that is a great price for Nokians, as they run expensive. Advantage of going with 19s, they are also cheaper than 20s, so on top of better snow performance, save some cash. Bonus.

Yeah don't waste your snow tires on summer that'd be dumb

But, still look forward to seeing it. Maybe by the time you get this done somebody within 100 miles will sell their Tempests to me. The ebay sets are all too many money

Yeah don't waste your snow tires on summer that'd be dumb

But, still look forward to seeing it. Maybe by the time you get this done somebody within 100 miles will sell their Tempests to me. The ebay sets are all too many money
Realized after I posted implied would be doing in the summer. Won't be putting on car until Thanksgiving. But, I self mount tires, old school, with a manual tire mounter. I've done from 15 inch to 20 inch rims. Getting them on is good old fashion manual labor. It's a good work out actually. Thought since I don't have a spare right now, I should mount 2, a left and right as snows are directional. That way if get a flat, just have to get the mounted snow and can use as a spare temporarily.