Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wiper alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far away where windshield wipers were either on or off (well high, low and off in this case) I bought a little box (probably from JC Whitney) that I wired into the wiper motor on my 1968 Dodge Dart to provide a delay in the wiper circuit to give me intermittent wipers.

Fast forward to 2023, and once again I have a car that can only operate its wipers at maniacally fast speeds, whether set to automatic or low. While I hope that Tesla might someday offer adjustable sensitivity of the rain sensing wipers I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if anyone can provide the equivalent for that add-on box to put into my Tesla to gain intermittent wiper capability? Knowing nothing about such systems I couldn't even imagine where to start.

A windshield coating (Rain-X or equiv), helps with not needing to run them. It won't help much with AP enabled tho.
Personally I use a ceramic wax and do everything, including all the glass.
I think wipers are better on 12.x update, but then there was nowhere to go but up. Auto headlights are finally usable, and phantom breaking is somewhat better for me, maybe wipers will get there as well.

A windshield coating (Rain-X or equiv), helps with not needing to run them. It won't help much with AP enabled tho.
Personally I use a ceramic wax and do everything, including all the glass.
I think wipers are better on 12.x update, but then there was nowhere to go but up. Auto headlights are finally usable, and phantom breaking is somewhat better for me, maybe wipers will get there as well.
I still haven't had a single "phantom breaking" though, as my MYLR hasn't broken anything yet, phantom or otherwise... 🤪 🤣

Drove ~500 miles today and had about 4 phantom braking events. Also had several times where there was an approach and it tried to take that. There's a fork on interstate where if I'm in that lane, it's not sure whether to go left or right and I always have to intervene. I don't want to wait until the last minute and brake or jerk my wife around. She traumatized enough by my driving. 🙄

OTOH, it did pretty good in the heavy rain today (several hours).