Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper arms that stay up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
My Model 3 wiper arms don't have the option of lifting up and latching over center keeping the wiper off the windshield. It's useful feature on most cars to keep the wipers from freezing onto the windshield during winter and when cleaning the glass. Are there any aftermarket arms that fit and work with the squirters?

My Model 3 wiper arms don't have the option of lifting up and latching over center keeping the wiper off the windshield. It's useful feature on most cars to keep the wipers from freezing onto the windshield during winter and when cleaning the glass. Are there any aftermarket arms that fit and work with the squirters?
I presume you are aware of the wiper service mode? I see in other threads that typically is good enough to allow defrost to unstick them from the windshield, although it doesn't have a way to latch it away from the windshield (although you lift them manually a little bit).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

The new Model 3's have wiper defrost mode. It heats the windscreen where the wipers park.
And use service mode

Wipers​

If you expect snow or ice to build up when parked, touch Controls > Service > Wiper Service Mode. This raises wipers against the windshield so they can defrost when the windshield defrosts (see Wipers and Washers). You can also turn on wiper defrosters (if equipped). See Climate Controls.

See the owners manual Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

When the weather forecast calls for snow, I put my wipers into service mode and then prop them away from the windshield by wedging one plastic 35mm film can under each wiper arm. Those are the right size to do the job, and I happen to have some on hand, since I still occasionally do film photography. Something else of similar size, made of fabric or a soft plastic, should work as well.

I agree that this is a very annoying design, and an illustration of the fact that Teslas were designed in southern California for southern California. Those of us in colder climates get no respect, as Rodney Dangerfield would say....