Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper blade defrosters - useful? necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2000 Land Rover Discovery has an actual heated windshield with wires imbedded the full width of the windshield. These are very thin wires which are inside the glass (not on either surface). They are visible with proper lighting but don't interfere with vision. These work great to clear the windshield of ice and snow quickly. I haven't seen these on other cars and don't know how common this is but highly recommended. I think most manufacturers have gone the route similar to Tesla where they have heater wires painted onto the surface.

A number of cars had this (Lincoln comes to mind) but it seems to be less popular these days. Maybe insurance costs were being affected every time a stone went through one of them???

A number of cars had this (Lincoln comes to mind) but it seems to be less popular these days. Maybe insurance costs were being affected every time a stone went through one of them???

We have a winner! This is the only concern I had with even the windshield in the Tesla for the winter package. I know many manufacturers got away from the heated windshields for exactly this reason.

I've had my Land Rover heated windshield replaced every few years (it seems to attract rocks).
I just looked up the last invoice from Safelite and they list a parts cost of $646.67 which seems quite reasonable. My insurance is through California AAA and I pay a $100 deductible. Safelite is their "preferred" auto glass service... and also my preferred service since they come to your house and do the work there.

I've had my Land Rover heated windshield replaced every few years (it seems to attract rocks).
I just looked up the last invoice from Safelite and they list a parts cost of $646.67 which seems quite reasonable.

You're right... that doesn't seem horrible. It was just a guess on my part as to why you don't see it as much any more. We had a Dodge Caravan a few years ago that had the Tesla-like heating elements at the bottom of the windshield, but I never had to replace it. I had always assumed it would be more than a plain glass one.