Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wiper blade overshoots the windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a new one for you guys...

1 day old model x, in seattle so of course it's drizzling today. the driver's side wiper blade overshoots the windshield and makes a loud thwacking sound. you can sometimes see the tip of the wiper from the driver side window for a brief moment. let's hope there arent too many other gremlins in this car!

Don't bend the arm! You an pop up the plastic bolt cover of the wiper, loosen the bolt, adjust the wiper, tighten the bolt. Check the Tesla service manual for proper torque.

I know this because my while overshot the car altogether and caused damaged to the body, as it was not tightened to spec at the factory.

I've noticed mine do that once for about 30 seconds a couple weeks back. It was odd but it stopped pretty quick and never did it again. I wasn't sure if I was hitting some strong winds that might have been pushing them too far or if they just became uncalibrated temporarily. I don't know if either of those are reasonable explanations but it was all I could come up with.

I'd report it back to your delivery rep, who will likely direct you to the service center. If it's a brand new X I would have Tesla take care of it.

really? Brand new 100k car with poor documentation and I’m going to resort to a diy fix? What if I screw it up or it doesn’t work? Not sure Tesla will fix my ****up for free.

It takes me 10 minutes to remove a skin cancer. When you get one maybe you can remove that *sugar* yourself. Only 10 minutes.

really? Brand new 100k car with poor documentation and I’m going to resort to a diy fix? What if I screw it up or it doesn’t work? Not sure Tesla will fix my ****up for free.

It takes me 10 minutes to remove a skin cancer. When you get one maybe you can remove that *sugar* yourself. Only 10 minutes.
Except this is not removing skin cancer; you were provided with directions to tighten a bolt. It's not even five minutes. You've already spent more time complaining about this than it would have taken to tighten the bolt.

• Funny
Reactions: posity and outie
Hi All, replying to this thread as I have the exact same problem on a brand new model x. The wiper blade on the drivers side overshoots the windshield. I've opened the frunk to get the drivers side wiper blade and removed the bolt (there was no cover on top of the bolt). I tried removing the arm entirely from the bolt underneath but it doesn't budge. So what i've tried twice is to remove the bolt, manually pull the wiper blade down towards the frunk and then put the bolt back on an tighten.

None of this seems to work. What is the magic that is in the service manual or that others have tried that i'm missing? Lots of rain in the area this week, trying to avoid marks getting on the A pillar. Thx.

this is a new one for you guys...

1 day old model x, in seattle so of course it's drizzling today. the driver's side wiper blade overshoots the windshield and makes a loud thwacking sound. you can sometimes see the tip of the wiper from the driver side window for a brief moment. let's hope there arent too many other gremlins in this car!

Wiper motor joint is failing. Get it replaced ASAP -- it'll rip a hole in your frunk lid if you wait too long. Happened to me.

Tech came by today and fixed my windshield wipers. I have not tested it since it is a sunny day. I guess I could spray a little water on the windshield and turn them on, but I will trust the tech and wait and see what happens next time it rains.

Ah ****ing hell. Looked at my A pillar today and it’s scratched to hell. Still 2 weeks until my service appointment and no word from mobile service.
Don't bend the arm! You an pop up the plastic bolt cover of the wiper, loosen the bolt, adjust the wiper, tighten the bolt. Check the Tesla service manual for proper torque.

I know this because my while overshot the car altogether and caused damaged to the body, as it was not tightened to spec at the factory.

did Tesla fix the damage to the body? Picked up a model 3 yesterday, rained the day of delivery and found scratches because of the same issue

New model Y. Same wiper overshoot and A pillar paint damage after the first heavy rain. Waiting for mobile service to fix the the wiper issue. The paint damage is bad enough that it will probably have to be repainted. See below.
20200916_182756.jpg