Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade Replacement Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the PIAA 26 and 20 inch blades. It seems that the 20 inch blade is too big for my 2021 and creates a large thunk every time it goes down. It appears the 20 inch blade is hitting part of the hood. I’m going to try a 19 inch PIAA blade (though they seem to be in short supply) and hopefully that will solve the issue. I had to put the original passenger OEM blade for now.
You have a mid'2021 made Y? If so, the blade is fine, your wiper arm is probably just bent. That's how mine was. If you put weight on your driver's seat so you can watch the wiper from outside, you'll see there is a small bend in the wiper arm that bows slightly outward, which is hitting your hood. There are also plastic retaining clips holding the washer tube. You can slide those along the arm. Those could be making contact too. I just made a mobile service request and they took care of it for free. My wipers are now dead silent. I didn't watch him fix it, so I'm not sure if they replaced the arm or just straightened out the existing one. Either way, I don't have that bow anymore.

I got the PIAA 26 and 20 inch blades. It seems that the 20 inch blade is too big for my 2021 and creates a large thunk every time it goes down. It appears the 20 inch blade is hitting part of the hood. I’m going to try a 19 inch PIAA blade (though they seem to be in short supply) and hopefully that will solve the issue. I had to put the original passenger OEM blade for now.
I have a similar problem. It doesn’t hit the hood in my case. The end of the wiper on the outside hits a plastic piece.

Are you talking about the plastic clip that holds the washer tube? If so, you can slide the clip further down/up the arm so that it doesn't strike anything.
No. the end of the wiper kind of springs up and hits the plastic piece my finger is on when it leaves the 'parked' position. The part where it actually wedges itself is a little further up from my finger.
1655821316023.png

These are the proper size and plug right in with the appropriate adapter already in place. Installed this morning. Driver side 26" / passenger side 20" -- Replaced my OEM blades and ensured they were the correct size.

Those Bosch ones did *not* fit my 2020 Model Y...and the Bosch website says they should not fit, either.

I'm seeing in other threads on here that one has to trim the Bosch ones, which are too wide. For my part, if I have to take a knife to the blade connector and trim it to get it to fit, forget about it. I'd rather have ones that were custom made to fit without wasting time with an X-acto knife and risking a poor fit.

The adapter *looks* nearly identical, but if you look carefully, you'll see the Bosch ones are a couple of millimeters wider than the Tesla OEM ones at their widest point (I measured them both). They do *not* fit into the metal receiver on the Tesla's wiper arms.

The Bosch one is on the left in this photo...you can see it's got a portion that's wider than the Tesla OEM wiper on the right.

I'm skeptical you got these to work. What Model year did you have and did you have to trim the Bosch ones to get them to fit???

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_022243269.jpeg
    PXL_20220709_022243269.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
These are the proper size and plug right in with the appropriate adapter already in place. Installed this morning. Driver side 26" / passenger side 20" -- Replaced my OEM blades and ensured they were the correct size.

Are the adapters on these the exact same size as the originals? I thought the MY used 16mm narrow ptb but I may be wrong.

Are the adapters on these the exact same size as the originals? I thought the MY uses a 16mm narrow ptb but I may be wrong.

I just finished putting in new wiper blade inserts into the original wiper blade frames. Took more time in documenting the process than actually doing it. Very easy to do, cost is about $7.00 for a set.
IMG_9342.jpg
IMG_9344.jpg

This is a write-up on how to refill the Tesla model Y wiper blades. The wiper blade refill is for a 6mm cross section for frameless wipers. The box comes with 4 refills and you cut to length. As you can see, the cross sections are exactly the same.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGNQWB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trick is to remove the end caps on the wiper blades, I used a very small screw driver to gently pry the ends from the metal rails and pushing against the cap, it will pop-out. The video link below shows one way, if you can pull the rubber out the cap comes off very easy, no prying needed.

To start, remove the end at the “top” or the end furthest away from the bottom of the windscreen. The reason is that there is a feature that holds the insert from moving. See image below, there is a small slot
IMG_9345.jpg
IMG_9346.jpg

In the rubber that mates with two small protrusions in the end cap. You will need to cut this slot in the refill. Slide the rubber out, lay it next to a new refill and cut to length.
IMG_9347.jpg
IMG_9348.jpg

Mark the location of the slot with a pen, then cut the top of the slot with a razor blade, I removed the top rubber with a pair of wire cutters. Slide the new insert into the wiper blade, at the end, place the end cap so the protrusions are over the slot in the refill and push the cap back on. Done.

Attachments

• IMG_9346.jpg
    IMG_9346.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9345.jpg
    IMG_9345.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 118
Those Bosch Aerotwin do not fit. Adapter is too wide. Had to send mine back.
For people buying the Bosch Areotiwn, you can remove the adapter off the stock one and place it on the Bosch. The pivot mechanism is the same size. Just the connector has little more plastic on the Bosch.

I did pick up a set of Piaa SiTech, by far the most expensive blades I've ever bought and realized I can't refill the blades. Doh. Hopefully they last twice as long, but so far they cured the wiper judder. I bought them off Amazon and took a Dremel to the numb on the connector. Super easy 1 mins job. No issue with clearance. 26 & 20 inch.

PXL_20221024_204018091.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but most folks just want to change their wiper blades without having to use a Dremel tool...lol. It's insane that Bosch and others still aren't offering a OEM-equivalent Tesla solution.

Are you absolutely sure one can take the adapters off the stock Tesla wipers and put them on the Bosch Aerotwins? That didn't seem feasible to me when I ordered the Bosch ones based on someone on this site incorrectly saying they fit.

Reactions: zpaul
Yeah, but most folks just want to change their wiper blades without having to use a Dremel tool...lol. It's insane that Bosch and others still aren't offering a OEM-equivalent Tesla solution.

Are you absolutely sure one can take the adapters off the stock Tesla wipers and put them on the Bosch Aerotwins? That didn't seem feasible to me when I ordered the Bosch ones based on someone on this site incorrectly saying they fit.
The wiper blade mount is the same and the only difference is the actual adapter which is custom to tesla. Just for experiment I bought the first one listed on this thread from Amazon. Was that the one you purchased 3397007088?

I'll post the result.