Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade Replacement Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wiper blade mount is the same and the only difference is the actual adapter which is custom to tesla. Just for experiment I bought the first one listed on this thread from Amazon. Was that the one you purchased 3397007088?

I'll post the result.
Yes, that's the Aerotwin model number aI bought. Returned them immediately and just bought the actual OEM Tesla blades. If there's some simple removal and switch operation, great...but again, anything that requires using blades or dremel tools to make them work is a non-starter for most people and, also, probably doesn't guarantee as good a fit and might impact performance.

Reactions: Mike_TV
Update on the wiper blade adapter swap.

I purchased the aeroblade set 3397007088 off Amazon for $30.51

Sure enough the blade and the adapter connection mechanism is identical. I swapped over the 2022 MY wiper blade adapter to the Bosh Areotwin blade. Below is the process.

Bosch Left vs. Tesla Right

PXL_20221102_222318673.MP.jpg

Pop off the adapter from the Tesla wiper blade with a small flat head. Do the same with the Bosch Areotwin.

PXL_20221102_222356466.MP.jpg

Identical blades.

PXL_20221102_222529503.MP.jpg

Installed.
PXL_20221102_222923823.MP.jpg

so piaa sitech aren't
For people buying the Bosch Areotiwn, you can remove the adapter off the stock one and place it on the Bosch. The pivot mechanism is the same size. Just the connector has little more plastic on the Bosch.

I did pick up a set of Piaa SiTech, by far the most expensive blades I've ever bought and realized I can't refill the blades. Doh. Hopefully they last twice as long, but so far they cured the wiper judder. I bought them off Amazon and took a Dremel to the numb on the connector. Super easy 1 mins job. No issue with clearance. 26 & 20 inch.

View attachment 867376
so you can't take apart the ends of the piaa sitech to insert new piaa refills?

Just get the PIAA SiTech wipers... I got mine from CravenSpeed, they were a direct fit with no modifications necessary. I never liked the Bosch wipers I had in the past with other cars.
I’ve just received these from CravenSpeed. I’m curious to know if you applied the silicon prep that came with these blades. Tesla recommends against applying sealants, waxes etc to the windshield. They cause the wipers to chatter which is the reason that I’m replacing my OEM wipers…I’m also stripping off the sealant.

I just got the PIAA from CravenSpeed. Yes, easy to install, but I found that the passenger side was short on the far right/top by about 1", and the driver side was short at the left/bottom side by about 1".
I’ve just received these from CravenSpeed. I’m curious to know if you applied the silicon prep that came with these blades. Tesla recommends against applying sealants, waxes etc to the windshield. They cause the wipers to chatter which is the reason that I’m replacing my OEM wipers…I’m also stripping off the sealant.

The prep is just alcohol. To clean the glass from any contamination.

The prep is just alcohol. To clean the glass from any contamination.
Thanks. I just checked the ingredients = 70% isopropyl alcohol, 30% cleaning liquid with silicone.

I’m a little reluctant to use this since my current chattering is due to applying Opti-Seal to the windshield several times before discovering that Tesla says sealants will cause wiper chattering. Believe me, it does.

Thanks. I just checked the ingredients = 70% isopropyl alcohol, 30% cleaning liquid with silicone.

I’m a little reluctant to use this since my current chattering is due to applying Opti-Seal to the windshield several times before discovering that Tesla says sealants will cause wiper chattering. Believe me, it does.
I switched wiper blades think that will solve 100% of the problem. For the most part it solved about 90%. The driver side lower portion during the down sweep still skipped. My glass is also coated and to fix the 10% issue, I had to fix the wiper arm angle which was off axis. I tweaked it back the other direction so the blade sits 90 degrees on the glass, this was the ultimate fix for the wiper chatter.

The real reason they say not to put coating on the glass is due to the wiper arm being off axis, the coating just adds more slickness preventing the wiper blade from transferring side to side during the cycle.

The chatter happens when the wiper blade is not on the proper side to wipe which causes the blade to skip on the glass.

Once the wiper arm is at the correct angle, coating the glass isn't an issue and the wiper blade can transfer side to side during each cycle.

Reactions: Jed Clampett

Just replace your OEM blades and be done with it, they are garbage anyways, mine chattered even without any coating, even after I thoroughly cleaned the glass. New blades and the problem went away.

Update on the wiper blade adapter swap.

I purchased the aeroblade set 3397007088 off Amazon for $30.51

Sure enough the blade and the adapter connection mechanism is identical. I swapped over the 2022 MY wiper blade adapter to the Bosh Areotwin blade. Below is the process.

Bosch Left vs. Tesla Right

View attachment 870412

Pop off the adapter from the Tesla wiper blade with a small flat head. Do the same with the Bosch Areotwin.

View attachment 870413

Identical blades.

View attachment 870414

Installed.
View attachment 870415

Awesome hack if it works.. haven’t tried yet.
I am currently in the process of changing my 2022 model y
I was wondering does the bosh icon the same type of connector?
Can we switch over oem connector to the bosh icon wiper blades?

Just to resume what has been said and tried.

The Y requires a 26" drivers side blade and a 20" passenger side blade both having 16mm top lock adapters also referred to as top lock narrow.

The correct length blade set out of the box with the correct 16mm top lock preinstalled that simply slips in without modification is the Bosch Aerotwin 3397014621

Unfortunately these seem to be backorder everywhere even at Bosch.

Work around is to order the Aerotwin 3397007088 however these come with a wide or 19mm top lock that does not fit our cars. You can easily remove the adapters on your original wipers and snap them onto the new blades once you removed the 19mm preinstalled adapters and you are good to go. Scroll back up to post 82 on how to do this.

Why Aerotwin? Aerotwin seems to be the only Bosch model made in Belgium just like the original Tesla OEM wipers which leads me to believe they are actually Aerotwins without the Bosch logo made for Tesla. Other Bosch wipers, take ICON as an example, are made in China as well as most of there other models. Does this make them a better wiper? Who knows.

Last edited:
Just to resume what has been said and tried.

The Y requires a 26" drivers side blade and a 20" passenger side blade both having 16mm top lock adapters also referred to as top lock narrow.

The correct length blade set out of the box with the correct 16mm top lock preinstalled that simply slips in without modification is the Bosch Aerotwin 3397014621

Unfortunately these seem to be backorder everywhere even at Bosch.

Work around is to order the Aerotwin 3397007088 however these come with a wide or 19mm top lock that does not fit our cars. You can easily remove the adapters on your original wipers and snap them onto the new blades once you removed the 19mm preinstalled adapters and you are good to go. Scroll back up to post 82 on how to do this.

Why Aerotwin? Aerotwin seems to be the only Bosch model made in Belgium just like the original Tesla OEM wipers which leads me to believe they are actually Aerotwins without the Bosch logo made for Tesla. Other Bosch wipers, take ICON as an example, are made in China as well as most of there other models. Does this make them a better wiper? Who knows.

Nice! Did you figure out which one was cheapest, inc shipping, by any chance?

These are the proper size and plug right in with the appropriate adapter already in place. Installed this morning. Driver side 26" / passenger side 20" -- Replaced my OEM blades and ensured they were the correct size.

I tried these exact blades on my model Y and they are too wide. Seems like they should 16mm instead of 19mm.

After installing the Bosch Aerotwin 3397014621 which were a perfect fit by the way, I kept the original blades and decided to experiment with putting in silicone refills. Was pretty easy to do and ends up costing around $2 per blade. I now have a spare set I can rotate as required and 4 sets of refills left over for future use. Used these inserts in the 70cm style.

After installing the Bosch Aerotwin 3397014621 which were a perfect fit by the way, I kept the original blades and decided to experiment with putting in silicone refills. Was pretty easy to do and ends up costing around $2 per blade. I now have a spare set I can rotate as required and 4 sets of refills left over for future use. Used these inserts in the 70cm style.
For those who are in the US.

I just finished putting in new wiper blade inserts into the original wiper blade frames. Took more time in documenting the process than actually doing it. Very easy to do, cost is about $7.00 for a set.
View attachment 851696View attachment 851698
This is a write-up on how to refill the Tesla model Y wiper blades. The wiper blade refill is for a 6mm cross section for frameless wipers. The box comes with 4 refills and you cut to length. As you can see, the cross sections are exactly the same.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGNQWB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trick is to remove the end caps on the wiper blades, I used a very small screw driver to gently pry the ends from the metal rails and pushing against the cap, it will pop-out. The video link below shows one way, if you can pull the rubber out the cap comes off very easy, no prying needed.

To start, remove the end at the “top” or the end furthest away from the bottom of the windscreen. The reason is that there is a feature that holds the insert from moving. See image below, there is a small slot
View attachment 851702View attachment 851703
In the rubber that mates with two small protrusions in the end cap. You will need to cut this slot in the refill. Slide the rubber out, lay it next to a new refill and cut to length.
View attachment 851704View attachment 851705
Mark the location of the slot with a pen, then cut the top of the slot with a razor blade, I removed the top rubber with a pair of wire cutters. Slide the new insert into the wiper blade, at the end, place the end cap so the protrusions are over the slot in the refill and push the cap back on. Done.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, and the Youtube link-it helped a lot. I was not able to remove the rubber cleanly from both ends. So I was able to squeeze one end of the cap off, but not the other side. I realized maybe more pictures will help future onlookers to show them the job isn't really too hard.

Even though I bought the OEM wiper blades from Tesla for $25 each x 2 ($50 before tax + 4 days shipping time), I still want to keep my old wiper blades for backup. With the Tesla OEM wiper blades, streaking issue no longer exists-simple pop off and replace. I had tried cleaning my windshield, the rubber blades, but it simply needed a replacement after 37K miles in SoCal weather.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 90