Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to get some new wiper blades as they seem to accomplish only 60% of their assigned task and leave a mess on the other 40% of the windshield. I ran some searches on TMC but couldn't find any specific replacement options.
Are there an recommendations for winter and/or summer blades? What length is required for the Model S?

I wouldn't go with the Tesla blades as they really aren't "wiping" it for me... Canadian Tire has a brand where the hole blade is encased in rubber, maybe that will work better. When you DO find a better blade, please keep us all posted -- I'm rather disappointed with the Tesla blades.

Thanks!

any rumours on if/when they will offer a winter package retrofit?

My guess would be they won't do it. You have to replace the entire windshield which is likely quite expensive given that it's coated, etc. Then you have to do the wiring and associated modules which control it. I'd estimate parts cost in the $2000 range, plus labor. Don't think people will pay that...

I likely damaged the blades before the Service Mode option as Calgary was getting an early winter. The Service Mode option, combined with preheating, should eliminate most future circumstances of iced up wipers. I would consider retrofitting rear seat heaters...OTOH the kids likely could use toughening up a bit anyways.

The drive in to work yesterday started from my garage so the service mode option would not have helped with the ice buildup on the blades that occurred with the crap that was coming down while inching along in the traffic. A heated section where the blades sit at rest that would allow the blades to shed themselves of the ice buildup is the only thing that would have worked.

my point was that I was starting from a very dry pre-heated context and the ice buildup occurred while driving on the highway ... both blades had turned into blocks of ice. pretty ineffective with creating a clean view ...

There are some weather conditions where pretty much all cars have their wiper blades ice over like that. Happened to me last year during my Winter Ice Adventure in fact. Every car on the highway had the same problem - people were stopping all over the place to break the ice off their wipers.

It is very hard to reliably get electrical power out to the wiper blade to heat it.

There are some weather conditions where pretty much all cars have their wiper blades ice over like that. Happened to me last year during my Winter Ice Adventure in fact. Every car on the highway had the same problem - people were stopping all over the place to break the ice off their wipers.

It is very hard to reliably get electrical power out to the wiper blade to heat it.

So you don't think that a heated space where the blades rest when not swiping would help?