Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blade Sizes and Wiper fluid question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is good for you, and I'm not trying to take away from your experience, but I definitely had to replace mine a lot (and my car is 100% garaged) - I've had two X's , *and* a fair number of loaners, and pretty much all of them have seemed to have the same problem; there is a portion of the arc swept out by the windshield wiper where the pressure on the glass seems to be higher for whatever reason, and the windshield wiper seems to 'give out' and produce smeary results there first. It's a very distinctive band, right in the driver's critical field of vision, and I've see it on so many different vehicles that I know this is not just my imagination. I just get better results when I have Tesla replace the wiper blades once every other year or even every year. Disclaimer: Seattle, rains 200 days a year...

This, this x1000 this. I have the same “smear” issue on my 2017 X right across the driver’s critical field of vision. I’m also in Seattle And I recall reading of a guy with an X in Portland that had the same goddamn issue.

I love my X but this is 100% the most annoying thing about it. I’ve had wipers replaced, the tension adjusted, the windshield re-glossed (or whatever that’s called), I’ve waxed the windshield, and I’ve tried every home remedy…it always comes back. And it is infuriating in the Pacific NW.

I don’t believe in this stuff, but I may try this Clearplex product just because I’m at my wit’s end.

ClearPlex®​

Invisible Windshield Protection Film

Complete your Vehicle Protection System with the best protection that you will never see—the patent-pending ClearPlex® by Madico. What is it? A clear window film applied to the exterior of your windshield.

Product Benefits:​

• Protect your windshield from damage, repair and replacement.
  • Protect your family and your drivers from the risk of windshield damage.
  • Reduce the risk of damage from road hazards, rocks, and debris that will scratch your windshield.
  • Protect your car’s interior from sun damage with the invisible windshield skin that provides Ultra-Violet Ray (U/V) Protection.
  • Protect the durability of your vehicle’s windshield and the structural integrity of your automobile. ClearPlex® is part of the vehicle safety system that protects your family, your drivers and your investment from damage.
  • Reduce the operating cost of your fleet of trucks, company vehicles, delivery vehicles.
  • Reduce the lost-time and inconvenience that is caused by repairing your windshield glass or worse—having to replace your windshield.

Reactions: Falcon73
so this is weird...
trying to replace my driver side on 2016 MX, only car on Tesla account

1667002223931.png

1667002264345.png

its most definitely not 26in... sigh.. its 28in! Did they copy/pasted from Refresh??

Regarding aftermarket blade refill, i found this one that works:
It wipes great but i feel like its too grippy, i can see the blade flex a lot, so i actually want oem for comparison...

Bosch/Michelin/Anco from local stores didn't work, different blade profile (i just removed the insert to test)

Reactions: m5james
This, this x1000 this. I have the same “smear” issue on my 2017 X right across the driver’s critical field of vision. I’m also in Seattle And I recall reading of a guy with an X in Portland that had the same goddamn issue.

I love my X but this is 100% the most annoying thing about it. I’ve had wipers replaced, the tension adjusted, the windshield re-glossed (or whatever that’s called), I’ve waxed the windshield, and I’ve tried every home remedy…it always comes back. And it is infuriating in the Pacific NW.

I don’t believe in this stuff, but I may try this Clearplex product just because I’m at my wit’s end.

ClearPlex®​

Invisible Windshield Protection Film

Complete your Vehicle Protection System with the best protection that you will never see—the patent-pending ClearPlex® by Madico. What is it? A clear window film applied to the exterior of your windshield.

Product Benefits:​

• Protect your windshield from damage, repair and replacement.
  • Protect your family and your drivers from the risk of windshield damage.
  • Reduce the risk of damage from road hazards, rocks, and debris that will scratch your windshield.
  • Protect your car’s interior from sun damage with the invisible windshield skin that provides Ultra-Violet Ray (U/V) Protection.
  • Protect the durability of your vehicle’s windshield and the structural integrity of your automobile. ClearPlex® is part of the vehicle safety system that protects your family, your drivers and your investment from damage.
  • Reduce the operating cost of your fleet of trucks, company vehicles, delivery vehicles.
  • Reduce the lost-time and inconvenience that is caused by repairing your windshield glass or worse—having to replace your windshield.
Did you figure out a solution? I have exactly the same issue as you. Had my wipers replaced, even the wiper arm replaced with tension adjusted, but the middle part of the blade always starts to smear first.

Did you figure out a solution? I have exactly the same issue as you. Had my wipers replaced, even the wiper arm replaced with tension adjusted, but the middle part of the blade always starts to smear first.
Yes, they adjusted the span of the wipers and for whatever reason that seemed to fix it.

So in other words, the wipers used to go all the way to the edge of the windshield like this: I

Now, they end in a diagonal position before swiping back down like this: /

Obviously my poor slashes don’t really show the true effect, but I hope that makes sense. After that adjustment, no more smear. Good luck!

Reactions: Falcon73 and Genie
After a year‘s driving my MX with poor wiper performance I had my windshield coated with Glassparency, it’s under $100 and takes 20 minutes. Now I rarely need the wipers, and only at low speeds. The coating repels the water beautifully, it races up and over the roof above about 35mph.
My MX also has the worst intermittent wipers I think I’ve ever owned so not needing them much is great.

My MX also has the worst intermittent wipers I think I’ve ever owned so not needing them much is great.
Ditto 😂
It has mind of its own, really annoying, wish they could just left it as a plain adjustable delayed setup...

On another note, in response to my own post above, i installed Genuine Tesla wiper blades n they squeak from day one... not impressed
so not any better than amazon inserts which are only $10...
next step is to try the refills from BMW (that i've always got for my F10), its only 26in for driver but should be enough for testing...

Reactions: m5james
So, what is the best windshield washer fluid to use?

The prior owner of ours seemed to have put Palmolive dish soap in the tank and it's a mess when used (and yep it's green). I've tried pumping/flushing it out, but they really must have poured a whole bottle of Palmolive in there.

Once I get it cleaned out, I'd like to use something better.

Thanks,

The wiper blades have a tube connection because the fluid comes out of the blade itself. So you cannot use universal wiper blades. See here:

I use the most basic washer fluid. The $1-2 per gallon blue stuff.
Watch the video again...the fluid is NOT coming outta the rubber blade itself, it's coming outta the plastic wiper assembly. The guy in the video keeps saying the same thing and he's simply wrong. I've seen wiper blade refills (just the rubber portion) so I don't see why removing the end of the wiper arm isn't possible and then just slide in a new blade. Mine are due so I'm going to give it a try since $80 is stupid.

Attachments

• 2022-12-02 15_52_26-Greenshot.png
    2022-12-02 15_52_26-Greenshot.png
    907.4 KB · Views: 53
Watch the video again...the fluid is NOT coming outta the rubber blade itself, it's coming outta the plastic wiper assembly. The guy in the video keeps saying the same thing and he's simply wrong. I've seen wiper blade refills (just the rubber portion) so I don't see why removing the end of the wiper arm isn't possible and then just slide in a new blade. Mine are due so I'm going to give it a try since $80 is stupid.
guess u didn't read my post...

its hard to find a good quality 28" insert with correct profile...
if u do, let us know

Bought mine at service centre for my X. Original ones lasted 5 years.
$105 Canadian after tax. Took 2 minutes to install. I did it at the service centre parking lot.
Pretty straight forward. YouTube is also your friend. Why Pay for labour for something so simple

so this is weird...
trying to replace my driver side on 2016 MX, only car on Tesla account

View attachment 868603
View attachment 868605
its most definitely not 26in... sigh.. its 28in! Did they copy/pasted from Refresh??

Regarding aftermarket blade refill, i found this one that works:
It wipes great but i feel like its too grippy, i can see the blade flex a lot, so i actually want oem for comparison...

Bosch/Michelin/Anco from local stores didn't work, different blade profile (i just removed the insert to test)
I bought these same blade refills, but I can't seem to figure out how to disassemble the blade to take out the old rubber and put in the new one. Any tips?

Reactions: brainhouston
I bought these same blade refills, but I can't seem to figure out how to disassemble the blade to take out the old rubber and put in the new one. Any tips?
Forgot i had a pic
U have to spread apart the edges of the plastic end to remove it, careful not to break it
I haven't tried but maybe even compress the two metal strips (squishing the blade) with pliers, may free up the end a bit better...

1670546466884.png