Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wiper blade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the Bosch 424A's on today. I'm driving on salty wet roads from snow melt. It does a pretty good job. It's very quiet. It's a little shorter than stock but I don't notice it with general use. The ends don't put down enough pressure to get a clean wipe. It's 50 degrees F. today -- will comment again when it goes below freezing.

I put the Bosch 424A's on today. I'm driving on salty wet roads from snow melt. It does a pretty good job. It's very quiet. It's a little shorter than stock but I don't notice it with general use. The ends don't put down enough pressure to get a clean wipe. It's 50 degrees F. today -- will comment again when it goes below freezing.

Replaced with 426 and am happier. The 424 was too short. Definitely had to replace the 424's after the winter (pretty much do my wipers every 6 months or when I see streaking). These are my wipers of choice for the Roadster now.

I replaced the stock blade very soon after I got my car with the Bosch 426A ICON as well. It's much better. It turns out the stock blade is between the length of the 424 and the 426 blades but the 426 works very well.

Funny. When I was in to fix my winshield washer (the time it stopped because of a kinked line because of pulling some lateral g's at the track) Carl tried out the repaired washer, said that my wiper blade wasn't working well, and popped a new one on, no charge. Maybe they have to charge for it when it's part of the annual serivce or something. Or, maybe they're just kind of inconsistent about billing (my guess).
Could it be a difference between warranty (free) and post-warranty (typical car dealer service rates)?

I also got free Bosch upgrades for my brand new Roadster 2.5 - they actually prompted me by asking if I'd had any problem with the wipers. I explained that I though my problems were normal, since every new car I've had seemed to experience some skipping until the new parts had a chance to wear in, but they assured me that I would want the Bosch. They stuck the OEM blades in the Bosch box and let me keep those, too, so now I have a backup (even if the OEM isn't up to par).

Last edited:
My standard wiper blade is working bad from the beginning, "jumping" all over the windshield. Have to look if I can adjust it with a bit of bending.

From earlier in the thread (where I described this problem), it was mentioned this is the result of a dried-out blade -- the rubber doesn't flex to match the direction of the wiper, and thus it skips. The only solution is a new blade (unless it's possible to resurrect the rubber of the old one).

I replaced the stock blade very soon after I got my car with the Bosch 426A ICON as well. It's much better. It turns out the stock blade is between the length of the 424 and the 426 blades but the 426 works very well.

Indeed. I tried the 424 thinking it wouldn't "hang over" at the edges like the 426 does, but the 424 does as well. It's probably just the curve of the windshield vs. the curve of the blade. And it only does it when the blade is on the very furthest of its swing. Both work perfectly but the 424's short enough that it almost made me feel claustrophobic as the dirt built up around outside the arc.

I have seen the question about Rain-X, works great. I have had my car in December 2010 and from day one "the jumping whiper", put streat Rain-X on and oké. I have done now 16.500 Km sofar and no problems
I use it also on my other cars.
One other point, if you drive over 85 - 90km/h you don't need the wiper.

Is that with any car with any glass configuration?
Almost. I tried Rain-X on my H1, and with the near vertical front windshield you could basically just see the rain drops dance around in circles. But that's not Rain-X, it's the really bad aerodynamics of the vehicle. With a Honda, by the time I reach 40 mph even the lightest rain is sliding straight off the windshield.

I spun by our local Carquest (obviously been there for ages but I've never seen it before) and they had the blades...

On our recent trip to Maine and back it started raining mid-week and didn't let up. I should have replaced the wiper blade ages ago but hadn't bothered... So it became annoying even on tiny trips. Luckily there was a NAPA auto parts store in Windham near where we were staying, so I came back to this thread, looked for the Bosch 426A and they had to get it "from the warehouse" but it was same-day. I also bought some Rain-X and applied that. The wiper blade cost $40 or something like that, and paid for itself in about three swipes. I was almost hoping it would rain all the way home (6 hrs of driving) just so I could revel in the smoothness of it! Thanks again to TMC contributors as a great resource.