Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper blades are driving me crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried using different wiper blades on their Model S? When we picked up our car in March, the detailer applied Aquapel to the windshield. Ever since then, the blades stutter and drag across the windshield constantly. Six months later, the situation is slightly better, but the dragging is still there. Another 9 months of this will drive me crazy. I've tried cleaning the blades with alcohol which helps, but it's strictly temporary. My thought is that the arms of the S's blades are not rigid like on my old Saab. They seem to be a little floppier, which might be the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution or different wiper blades?

Has anyone tried using different wiper blades on their Model S? When we picked up our car in March, the detailer applied Aquapel to the windshield. Ever since then, the blades stutter and drag across the windshield constantly. Six months later, the situation is slightly better, but the dragging is still there. Another 9 months of this will drive me crazy. I've tried cleaning the blades with alcohol which helps, but it's strictly temporary. My thought is that the arms of the S's blades are not rigid like on my old Saab. They seem to be a little floppier, which might be the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution or different wiper blades?

Try cleaning the windshield with a quality glass cleaner. I use Sprayway - Sprayway Inc. | Pioneers in Aerosols since 1947 | Worlds Best Glass Cleaner Available locally at Target.

Have exactly the same problem Add 20/10 additive to the windshield wash liquid This should solve the problem If it doesn't the get the detailer to remove the Aquapel from the windscreen Keep using the 20/10 It makes a huge difference in keeping the windows clean

I have the exact same problem. I had it from day one without any hydrophobic applique to the windshield. I applied RainX and still have it--no difference. I drove a loaner car last week and it had the same problem. IMO this is a very common problem with certain (most?) Model S cars. Please chime in. I'm really curious how many people have this issue.

I don't have that problem. No coating on windshield and only ordinary glass cleaners being used. Since your problem started after the Aquapel was applied, then that could be the cause. Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

I applied RainX to the windshield and have the problem. If I drive above 40mph, I don't need to use the wipers, but below that, it's annoying. Maybe I should clean it off, and try Steve's idea here. Only problem is roads are seldom dirty that I need to use the washer fluid.

EXACTLY the same. My wipers were fine until I applied RainX. Once I applied RainX, I have that VERY annoying shuddering. When driving at higher speeds, you don't need to use the wipers. But at lower speeds, or "spitty weather (aka not enough "rain" but enough for you to need ot use hte wipers occasionally), its SUPER annoying and distracting. So much so, I had to take the RainX off as best I could.

I applied aquaplaned when we first got the car and this is when the chattering of the blades started. The only partial cure was to use rainx on the windshield, 2 one 3 coats/cleanings. Now four months in and the aquapel has started to wear off and the rainx is not necessary as it was before.

It may take a few washings, but here's an option to remove coatings that worked well for me.

1. Wash car as usual.
2. Soak a small cotton towel with isopropyl alcohol and thoroughly(!) wipe the entire windshield.
3. Follow-up with a simple window cleaner to remove the haze left by isopropyl alcohol.
4. Clean the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol to remove coating build up.

The isopropyl alcohol will eventually break down most coatings, waxes, etc. It's also an excellent bug/tar remover and won't harm the paint. Avoid using it on plastics.

No problem here regarding stuttering. The wipers clear the screen without streaks for me. However, they aren't nearly fast enough to keep up with a giant monsoon water dump at freeway speeds as I found out last week. Also, sometimes they will spontaneously wipe once and turn my headlights on at the same time. Very strange.

I suggest you get a good glass polish and polish out the water spots and residue on the windshield. Clean thoroughly and then apply a nanotechnology coating to the glass like GTechniq or Permanon. Not only will the rain blow off your windshield but your wipers will glide effortlessly.

I have had this problem from the start, going on 9 months now. I have Rain-X on now, but it was just as bad before. Even on the intermittent setting, the blades seem to drag. I'm less than thrilled, and the NY Service Center says they haven't had any other complaints about it.

My casual observation is that the wiper motor is not quite strong enough. If I activate the wipers before there is "enough" water on the glass, they wipe slow and won't fully return to the Park position, peeking up above the cowl. If I wet the glass down with the washers (and make the glass more slippery) they will wipe faster, smoother and Park all the way down.

The "weak" motor may explain some of the issues with coatings on the glass.

I applied Accuvision (supposedly the same formula as Aquapel, but available in a bottle) right after I picked up the car and got a lot of stuttering. The service center told me that their detailer sprays on a liquid was all over the car, including the glass. I scrubbed the windows with Dawn dishwashing detergent, reapplied the Accuvision so it could bond directly to the glass, then all stuttering was gone. Any coating that is not even can cause stuttering. That is supposed to be the forte of Aquapel and Accuvision--I found out that it just has to bond directly to the bare glass.