Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper blades : Recommendation please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Bosch AP28U on amazon.co.uk £16 for Prime. Doesn’t look as good quality as the original Bosch on my S75D but wow it actually wipes the windscreen effectively all over its arc. A contrast to the streaky finish from the original wiper.

I bought a Bosch AP28U on amazon.co.uk £16 for Prime. Doesn’t look as good quality as the original Bosch on my S75D but wow it actually wipes the windscreen effectively all over its arc. A contrast to the streaky finish from the original wiper.
check back in 6 months and let us know how it is. :)

piaa.JPG

Reactions: PrGrPa
Bosch Icon 18OE and 28OE. I have them and they don't squeak like the stock blades. Especially with RainX on the windshield, my stock blades would squeak and chatter when wiping. But these solve those problems and they are very quiet.

18OE:
Amazon.com: Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18" (Pack of 1): Automotive

28OE:
Amazon.com: Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade - 28" (Pack of 1): Automotive

Thank you for the links. When I go to order, Amazon's part checker says these do not fit the 2017 Model S. Is Amazon mistaken? Thank you, again.

So after doing the wiper dance for a bit, and I believe the tip came from either the mothership (tesla.com's fora) or here, I bought a bottle of this, mixed it with distlled water, replaced the Bosch wipers that weren't working appreciably better with Costco special $6 blades (Michelin or Goodyear or whatever they always have and occasionally put on sale), and go figure.

Suffice it to say the result was like night and day. Zero streaking, with some of the cheapest wipers available. Which have held up surprisingly well, I might add.

That additive plus distilled water was the missing solution, no pun intended (okay, somewhat intended) that has been missing since 12/26/2014 when I began this silly odyssey with the first chariot. Terrible wiper coverage since day 1, both cars, no matter what wipers, no matter how many adjustments, and don't even get me started about the AP2 wiper features - laughably useless and verified yet again just this past week when there were Ark sightings here in SoCal.

Give that additive *and distilled water* a shot if throwing the more expensive wipers at the problem doesn't work out.

Thank you for the links. When I go to order, Amazon's part checker says these do not fit the 2017 Model S. Is Amazon mistaken? Thank you, again.
I got the same thing for my 2016 Model S. The 18" one says it would fit my Model S but the 28" ones didn't say they would fit. I went ahead and ordered anyway bc I read on other websites that 18" and 28" are the correct blades. Did you order anyway?

check back in 6 months and let us know how it is. :)

View attachment 288634

just checked back on the thread. I ran that wiper until I got a service for the car in March 2019 and Tesla replaced the wipers. It was fine all that time. The replacement Tesla wipers are still on and are fairly quiet and streak free.

my SO got a model 3 last year. The wiping on that was better than my Model S was originally but still not good until I gave the windscreen a thorough clean with dish detergent and then glass cleaner and polished it to a very clean state. Much better since then.

IDK, maybe there’s some sort of manufacturing residue on Tesla windscreen glass.

Just wondering if anyone has found a workaround for the extremely poor wiper performance in snow/ice. I posted about this in another thread, but long story short, it is so bad that if we cant find a solution we're going to buy out our lease and sell the car. I've taken it into service twice for this. They recognize the problem but seem unable to fix it. They've tried adjusting the wiper housing/mechanism so that the blades make more contact in the area where they aren't working well (which happens to be right in the driver's line of sight). They've also replaced the blades twice. My wife and I are still unable to see well out the windshield when there's snow, ice, grime on the road... winter conditions which are very common here in the mountains of Utah.

The last thing we're going to try before getting rid of the car is aftermarket blades. I found these, which claim to be specially designed for icy conditions and fit the X. But I don't see any mention of the special piping that makes the blades compatible with Tesla's (lame) wiper fluid application method. Just wondering if anyone has used these or any other aftermarket blades, or has any other ideas for how we can see out of our windshield in the winter!

Just wondering if anyone has found a workaround for the extremely poor wiper performance in snow/ice. I posted about this in another thread, but long story short, it is so bad that if we cant find a solution we're going to buy out our lease and sell the car. I've taken it into service twice for this. They recognize the problem but seem unable to fix it. They've tried adjusting the wiper housing/mechanism so that the blades make more contact in the area where they aren't working well (which happens to be right in the driver's line of sight). They've also replaced the blades twice. My wife and I are still unable to see well out the windshield when there's snow, ice, grime on the road... winter conditions which are very common here in the mountains of Utah.

The last thing we're going to try before getting rid of the car is aftermarket blades. I found these, which claim to be specially designed for icy conditions and fit the X. But I don't see any mention of the special piping that makes the blades compatible with Tesla's (lame) wiper fluid application method. Just wondering if anyone has used these or any other aftermarket blades, or has any other ideas for how we can see out of our windshield in the winter!
try Bosch wiper blades.....FWIW: isn't a lease the same as buying a car....three times and cant fix problem, they take or buy it back

try Bosch wiper blades.....FWIW: isn't a lease the same as buying a car....three times and cant fix problem, they take or buy it back
Yes, that's what should happen. And I may go that route. But at this point, given the strength of the used car market, it might be easier and more beneficial to me to buy out the lease and trade it in for a new car or sell it on the private market. The car is worth about $20k more than what I'd have to pay to buy out the lease.

I just encountered a post from someone else that seems to have had a similar problem. It took him 2.5 years (!!!) of dealing with service to finally get it resolved. In his case, that was replacing the wiper blade arms. I suspect that's exactly what needs to happen in my case because I can tell that the driver's side wiper blade is not making enough contact with the windshield in a certain area. They have already replaced the blades twice. During the first service on this last winter, they said they adjusted the blade arms. But the problem still exists.

Yes, that's what should happen. And I may go that route. But at this point, given the strength of the used car market, it might be easier and more beneficial to me to buy out the lease and trade it in for a new car or sell it on the private market. The car is worth about $20k more than what I'd have to pay to buy out the lease.

I just encountered a post from someone else that seems to have had a similar problem. It took him 2.5 years (!!!) of dealing with service to finally get it resolved. In his case, that was replacing the wiper blade arms. I suspect that's exactly what needs to happen in my case because I can tell that the driver's side wiper blade is not making enough contact with the windshield in a certain area. They have already replaced the blades twice. During the first service on this last winter, they said they adjusted the blade arms. But the problem still exists.
thats a great point....I did not think of it...but you are right...buy it out the sell at a big profit...

I just change the blades on my MS and M3....after 2 years and just in time for the No rain in So Cal rains.....I was surprised though...they replaced the whole thing...not just the insert.....but they are working great....just wish they would get the stupid wipers to operate correctly

So after doing the wiper dance for a bit, and I believe the tip came from either the mothership (tesla.com's fora) or here, I bought a bottle of this, mixed it with distlled water, replaced the Bosch wipers that weren't working appreciably better with Costco special $6 blades (Michelin or Goodyear or whatever they always have and occasionally put on sale), and go figure.

Suffice it to say the result was like night and day. Zero streaking, with some of the cheapest wipers available. Which have held up surprisingly well, I might add.

That additive plus distilled water was the missing solution, no pun intended (okay, somewhat intended) that has been missing since 12/26/2014 when I began this silly odyssey with the first chariot. Terrible wiper coverage since day 1, both cars, no matter what wipers, no matter how many adjustments, and don't even get me started about the AP2 wiper features - laughably useless and verified yet again just this past week when there were Ark sightings here in SoCal.

Give that additive *and distilled water* a shot if throwing the more expensive wipers at the problem doesn't work out.
Hi, just got to read this thread. You mention to buy "this" at Amazon but the link no longer works unfortunately. If at all possible, could your share what product "this" is ? Thanks in advance.

Unless your blades are deteriorating you can often rejuvenate the wiper's life and utility by thoroughly cleaning your windshield to remove any caked on debris and applying some WD-40 or clear silicone lubricant spray with a paper towel/napkin. You don't need a lot and you'll be surprised at how dirty the napkin will be after wiping the blades. But if they can't be saved, Bosch Icons are my go to blades.

Unless your blades are deteriorating you can often rejuvenate the wiper's life and utility by thoroughly cleaning your windshield to remove any caked on debris and applying some WD-40 or clear silicone lubricant spray with a paper towel/napkin. You don't need a lot and you'll be surprised at how dirty the napkin will be after wiping the blades. But if they can't be saved, Bosch Icons are my go to blades.
Thanks for the quick reply and advice, I'll try this right away !