Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Controls on Steering Stalk Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some initial digging and found the thread for “The Wiper Issue”, which was very informative and helped me possibly isolate the ‘potential’ components that may be causing the problem.

To make a long story short… basically my wiper controls from the steering stalks are not working for my 2012 Model S. The high-beam and turn signals (which reside on the same stalk) work just fine.

A relatively important thing to note is that the Wiper Service Mode works just fine and the wipers are commanded into their ‘service’ position.

I took the car into the service center and they blamed the stalk, and wanted to charge me $600 for a ‘new’ one. I was a little concerned by their diagnosis, and took the car back.

If I understand this correctly, there are only three points of failure for the mechanism that drives the wiper from the stalk (after assuming the wiper motor is fine):
1) Stalk
2)BCM
3)possible wiring issue

If the fuse for [wiper park] was blown, then the wiper would not work at all (service mode would be unresponsive?). I double-check the fuse, and it looked perfectly fine.

Are there any other relays or components that I can check that are directly related to the stalk’s communication/signal to the wiper motor?
When I flip the wiper to any setting it does not respond, and pressing the stalk down to ‘spray’ also does not work.

You can find this under the section - Electrical on the manual and there is description that the service mode does operates separately from the BCM. Have a look, this RLSH stands for Rain/Light/Solar/Humidity sensor and I do not know if this was present on 2012 model. There seems to be several relays involved to operate the wipers.

D29BBB97-BA68-4144-A23E-A70450D5814E.jpeg

KalJoMoS,
I checked the 2012-2022 service manual again today and couldnt find the text you posted above. Are the relays located in the same fuse box?
By the sound of it, it could be either the BCM or relays at this point. If it is the BCM, then I am on the hook with the Service Center (since they will need to reprogram)… so I’d like to check the relays first.

Based on what I’ve read… the relays would not affect the wiper washer jets.

So this is sounding more like a BCM issue. I am assuming all of the wiper functionality is localized into one of the harness plugs going into the BCM. Could it be possible that the harness just fell loose over time (if it was improperly seated)?

Anyone have a wiring diagram going into the BCM for a 2012-2014?

From the same link there is this description, so worth a check. That BCM is just behind the front passenger footwell. You need to move only the footwell carpet. I haven’t looked but the connector’s might just be visible:

91493944-412A-474A-9711-E4420E0E51D2.jpeg

Yep! Found that after I clIcked on that link you provided for the relays. But the more that I think about it, if it was an issue with the relays… I would see some kind of life from the wiper washer function.

My guess is it is leaning towards the BCM or the connection points going to/from there.. provided all the wiper stalk functionality goes into the same harness.

These are the only relays that I can find and it’s from newer version, 2015 onwards. See photo, also this is a section of the body control module that controls the pump and sensors, sorry no wipers…

View attachment 933268
View attachment 933269
Thanks for the wire diagram image!
That confirms that the washer pump and wipers share the same harness that feeds into the BCM.

Were you able to solve this. I am having the same issue.
If this is affecting only the intermittent settings on your wipers this is a recent firmware problem and should be fixed on a future release. No action required on your part. See this thread:

This is effecting all of them, auto to full to washers to single wipe. Took it into Tesla today. They thought first it was the BCM now I’m being told they no longer think that and can’t figure out what’s wrong. The stalk is signaling to the computer correctly. I’m out of my MS for another day or two. Just hope it doesn’t cost my kidney. They blanket their estimates and sends the sticker shock to the core.

My issue was related to the actual stalk for the turn-signal/wiper. There is a small ribbon cable that is used by the knob, ripped in two. The previous owner pulled the cable out and stashed it back in the lever.

The service center had to replace the steering module. Naturally, the 1st gen are almost double the price. Don’t try to use a used part unless you can reprogram though. I tried to swap it out with a used part and it did not seem to change anything.

My issue was related to the actual stalk for the turn-signal/wiper. There is a small ribbon cable that is used by the knob, ripped in two. The previous owner pulled the cable out and stashed it back in the lever.

The service center had to replace the steering module. Naturally, the 1st gen are almost double the price. Don’t try to use a used part unless you can reprogram though. I tried to swap it out with a used part and it did not seem to change anything.
What was the cost for the replacement?

The 1st gen steering module(stalk) was $515 for the part alone through Tesla. Labor was roughly another $140. The 2nd gen stalk (turn signals/wipers at the higher position) was significantly cheaper (~$250).

As always, expect the prices to fluctuate without any rhyme or reason.