Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper motor noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turned my windshield wipers on for the first time since picking up my new S90D - I noticed that the motor seemed excessively loud - and as I increased the speed, the noise was more pronounced. I didnt notice this as much while the car was in motion but seemed more excessive when stopped. Has anybody else experienced this? Don't know if this is "normal" or I should bring it in to get checked out.

I'm afraid so.

The wiper motor-gear-train sounds like those on my 40 year old Chevy. In the 21st century, and after being in production for half a decade, there's no excuse for such flawed hardware...especially on an otherwise very quiet luxury car.

Maybe they put their best motor-gear designers on the drive trains and the rejects got to design the wipers.

Or maybe, because the car was designed in California, where we've had a drought since about the time the S was introduced, there hasn't been much opportunity for the designers to do much real-world testing. Who knows?

The wiper motor in my 2012 Model S is noisy. Im thankful I have the premium sound system to drown out the noise. :) It's a bit disappointing Tesla hasn't fixed this yet. If they've been making 20 improvements a week for the last few years, you'd think the loud wiper motor would have been fixed by now.

I took my '14 MS in to the service center and asked them about it. They said it was louder than normal and offered to replace it. Unfortunately, they didn't have the part in stock and said they would contact me to schedule a time soon. That was 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm bringing car in to have the performance pedals installed and they said they would look at wiper motor and replace if necessary.

Drove new Model S home in the rain and noted same very noisy wiper motor. Taking car in for winter tires soon and will mention this to service. Did they replace your motor and did it solve the problem?

Drove new Model S home in the rain and noted same very noisy wiper motor. Taking car in for winter tires soon and will mention this to service. Did they replace your motor and did it solve the problem?
Nope - they acknowledged the noisy wiper motor and said it was "normal". Frankly, I have never owned a car whose wiper motor was that loud - oh well - something that I have to live with....

tesla says alot of loud noises are "normal". same thing happened to our 60d with regards to the wiper motor and the whirring noise in the rear DU....ALL NORMAL..LOL...even though the tech recorded the du noise and said he hasnt hear it before and its not "normal" in the end they said it was...so at that point what can a person do?

I took my '14 MS in to the service center and asked them about it. They said it was louder than normal and offered to replace it. Unfortunately, they didn't have the part in stock and said they would contact me to schedule a time soon. That was 4 weeks ago.

Did Tesla ever replace your wiper motors, due to the excessive noise? I have the same issue, but have not contacted them yet.