TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wiper Motor / Rain in CA

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, Dec 9, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Maybe this is the reason my Tesla wiper motor is awful... (under powered).

http://jalopnik.com/please-laugh-at-these-california-drivers-flummoxed-by-r-1789910458

No one in CA knows what 'rain' is... lol

Wipers in every other car I've ever owned/driven have worked better

Yes, I've tried at least 3 wiper sets. The motor is the weak link. Already burned one up under warranty, won't be long to burn up #2. It's no more powerful.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was recently driving home from the 5 to 101 on Rt 152 at night in the rain. For those unfamiliar, it's pitch black, very twisty, and through a mountainous area next to a reservoir where if you went off the barely barricaded road you'd probably tumble down the cliff and drown in the reservoir.

This was the first rain in months. On a straight I blipped the throttle a tiny bit to see how slick it was and the tires broke loose, so it was really slick. People were going so fast. I saw one car skid across a lane of traffic onto the shoulder when they tried to take a turn too fast.

It was utterly terrifying. I felt safer driving in blizzards in Ohio than rain in California. People are crazy out here.

To your point, I can't stand the wipers. They're terrible. The settings are all 3x faster than they need to be and there's no way to adjust them. The settings that are supposed to automatically sense rain on the windshield look like they're having seizures: slow swipe, slow swipe, slow swipe, SUPER FAST SWIPE, SUPER FAST SWIPE, slow swipe. No change in rain conditions. It's silly that I have to manually operate my wipers on a vehicle this expensive to get them to work reasonably.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I also live in the SF Bay Area. Going into my fourth winter with my S. The wipers seem fine to me. The rain sensor does not work perfectly, as I interpret the word, but its usually okay. I have taken the car on multiple long trips in the Western US and the wipers have been satisfactory. Could they be better? Sure. But I would not describe them as "terrible".

"Terrible" wipers were what I had on my 1959 Porsche, which by the way was built for European winters.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yeah, I suppose it does probably depend on what you're benchmarking against. I was thinking "The wipers on our 1998 Civic would be a substantial improvement over these." I guess maybe 'terrible' was harsh. They are really bad, though. There's only two intermittent speeds, the two automatic speeds don't work very well for me, and they used a low spring rate that frequently causes them to chatter (see one of the dozens of threads on this). The chattering gets worse if you use anything on the windshield that makes it easier to see, which when paired with the lack of speed configuration frustrates matters further.

Wonder if they're better on the Model X? The Model S design was/is probably just whatever Mercedes had laying around for cheap.

5. SabrToothSqrl

I would take the wiper system from a 1998 Honda Civic over a Model S's wipers any day. Even at 18 years old
    the Honda's would work better. Terrible is the correct word. $94,000 new and this thing wipes like a 2 year old.

I guess I should put up or shutup, file with the NHSTA. Not being able to see is quite the safety hazard.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I've always thought the wipers worked quite well, I really like the automatic speeds.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Not in my opinion, but perhaps I am holding them wrong.

My complaints are the same as above. But I just re-read the manual and I am not sure if I have been using the correct setting. The first auto setting says it uses the center rain sensor. The second setting says the same but the sensing is "more sensitive", whatever that means. My biggest complaint is they wipe when they shouldn't so perhaps I should be using the second auto setting and not the first.

BTW the two manual settings might be OK but I find the speeds to be too fast for lighter rain. I would prefer two additional lower speeds too.

8. ecarfan

I always use the second auto wiper setting. Try it.

9. SabrToothSqrl

lol, you're kidding right? Yes I've tried all the settings. Wipers still suck.

10. ecarfan

No, I'm not kidding. And my suggestion was a response to the post by @aesculus immediately above my post.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Thanks. That may be the trick.:)