Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper/Washer Arm Upgrade MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has been complaining about the poor wiper/washer performance on our late 2020 model Y being it is winter and the roads are really wet/dirty. Problem is the washer fluid is lacking on the lower drivers side portion. Came across this article which shows they did address this issue in 2021 by revising the wiper arm to add another 3 point nozzle further down the arm and an secondary nozzle on the end where the previous model Had only 1. Went to the service centre where they handed me one for the sum of $135 CDN, being it comes with a new wiper blade that costs $35, the arm costs $100. Pretty easy to install.

Oh my what a difference, really recommend you install this if your car does not have it. Sometime around June 2021 this was changed about the same time they removed radar. Compare yours to the picture in the link above for a visual confirmation. Part number is 1490245-00-C

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24 and Mike_TV
It's only a wiper arm! Open frunk, remove upper plastic portion of frunk for access to washer hose connection, disconnect washer hose at Y connector and pull out the hose retainer from the car a few inches up from the Y, remove plastic cap that hides wiper arm nut, remove nut, wiggle wiper arm until it pops off.

Install new arm in same position the old one was taken off, install nut and tighten, replace nut cap, push washer hose onto the Y connector, push in hose retainer into car where the old one was removed, reinstall upper frunk plastic portion.

Pretty easy to do however if you are not comfortable with this, I am sure the service centre will install this for you in no time. Figure 15 minutes at best.

It's only a wiper arm! Open frunk, remove upper plastic portion of frunk for access to washer hose connection, disconnect washer hose at Y connector and pull out the hose retainer from the car a few inches up from the Y, remove plastic cap that hides wiper arm nut, remove nut, wiggle wiper arm until it pops off.

Install new arm in same position the old one was taken off, install nut and tighten, replace nut cap, push washer hose onto the Y connector, push in hose retainer into car where the old one was removed, reinstall upper frunk plastic portion.

Pretty easy to do however if you are not comfortable with this, I am sure the service centre will install this for you in no time. Figure 15 minutes at best.
Haha, fair enough.
Thanks for the details! I’ll have to order one.

Interesting. My 12/2020 produced MYLR driver's side wiper arm looks like the updated version, but still doesn't spray adequately. I had a tech adjust it, but it's still funky. I'll try to readjust it.

nteresting. My 12/2020 produced MYLR driver's side wiper arm looks like the updated version, but still doesn't spray adequately. I had a tech adjust it, but it's still funky. I'll try to readjust it.
I was only going by the date of the article, could very well be they started showing up December 2020 or even earlier for that matter. My Y is a 2020 august build which did not have the updated wiper arm.

My wife just got back from a messy ride due to light snow falling, said the wiper/washers are a night and day comparison to the old. Problem solved according to her.

Last edited:
I just did this. Bought my new/used wiper arm from Ebay but made sure it had the middle set of nozzles. Many on there do not. Took about 10 mins to swap the arm and blade. I did have to use a gear puller because the arm was well stuck to the drive. Cost was about 50 dollars including the shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_7848.jpeg
    IMG_7848.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 217