TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wiper wobbles

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by NickF, May 14, 2017.

1. NickF

NickF 75D

Anyone else experience the wobble as shown in this video? The bottom of the driver wiper wobbles under certain wetness conditions.

• Informative x 1
  2. David.85D

David.85D Member

Yes. Had the exact same thing. Went away completely with new Bosch icon wipers.

3. NickF

NickF 75D

Hmm... we had it in for the annual about a month ago and they put on the new Bosch blades and inspected the brackets, etc. There must be something else to it.

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Yep, mine wobble too, maybe they are afraid of the ghosting.

5. David.85D

David.85D Member

I bought the Bosch icon blades as they are supposed to be better than the stock Bosch blades. But, I don't have that in writing... For all I know, the difference may just be new vs old.

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Replace the 28 in blade with a 26 in blade that should solve the problem. Amazon has them. No meaningful change in swept area.

7. MS16

MS16 Member

Yes, mine wobble under most conditions and has since new. The SC said "engineering is aware of the issue" and didn't do anything. I've since asked them for an update and they said there was no update or anything they could do about it.

Maybe you'll have better luck with your SC.

8. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Happens to everyone as far as I know. Bosch Icon blades really help. In my case I had good results thoroughly cleaning and polishing the windshield and then using RainX. Others have had issues using anything like RainX on the windshield … I think the key is really cleaning and polishing before you apply anything.

9. gfab333

gfab333 Member

This happened to me right after applying RainX to the windshield. It went away on its own after a day or so.

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It's not RainX. It's a design and part problem:

The reason is improper tolerances on the wiper bracket. If they are slightly loose (which they are) they will wobble until the keep making the bracket even larger, and wobbling even more, and repeat. My solution was simply to use a small C clamp to press the metal side of the bracket until there was a solid connection to the wiper side of the bracket. No more wobble. For now.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. KArnold

KArnold Member

Would love to see a picture. You leave it there all of the time? Is the problem on both sides?

Thank you!

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

C-clamp is only to bend the metal bracket down to a tight fit in a controlled way. It does not stay on the wiper.

edit - and the problem is more with the driver side since the wiper arm is so long (more torque). I left the passenger side alone, because even when loose it doesn't really chatter.

• Informative x 1