Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper wobbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience the wobble as shown in this video? The bottom of the driver wiper wobbles under certain wetness conditions.

Yes, mine wobble under most conditions and has since new. The SC said "engineering is aware of the issue" and didn't do anything. I've since asked them for an update and they said there was no update or anything they could do about it.

Maybe you'll have better luck with your SC.

Happens to everyone as far as I know. Bosch Icon blades really help. In my case I had good results thoroughly cleaning and polishing the windshield and then using RainX. Others have had issues using anything like RainX on the windshield … I think the key is really cleaning and polishing before you apply anything.

It's not RainX. It's a design and part problem:

The reason is improper tolerances on the wiper bracket. If they are slightly loose (which they are) they will wobble until the keep making the bracket even larger, and wobbling even more, and repeat. My solution was simply to use a small C clamp to press the metal side of the bracket until there was a solid connection to the wiper side of the bracket. No more wobble. For now.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold and jdw
Would love to see a picture. You leave it there all of the time? Is the problem on both sides?

Thank you!

C-clamp is only to bend the metal bracket down to a tight fit in a controlled way. It does not stay on the wiper.

edit - and the problem is more with the driver side since the wiper arm is so long (more torque). I left the passenger side alone, because even when loose it doesn't really chatter.

• Informative
Reactions: KArnold
I think my pet theory has been confirmed. Too much torque required to wipe with a 28" wiper. Tightening the bracket doesn't help for long because the extra force loosens it back up.

1. Tesla has reduced the size of the wiper for 2018 to 26" from 28"! So Tesla has finally caught on and is doing something about this. I bet for 6 years they just had a engineer shove the longest blade possible in there and never wiped outside of their test booth. http://www.piaa.com/Shared/applications/2018-PIAA-Wiper-App-Guide-Master.pdf
2. I put a 18" blade on my driver side just see what it would do. Nice smooth wipes! No degradation over time. But of course it looks silly.

I ordered a 24" blade as a compromise. Should not impede vision at all, since the top/bottom 2" of the stock wiper are pretty much a waste. Hopefully it's not too big.

Anyone else experience the wobble as shown in this video? The bottom of the driver wiper wobbles under certain wetness conditions.

Yes I get chatter with Bosch, I bought some Tricos and they were fantastic but service center replaced them upon yearly service, so chatter is back. Trico is pretty awesome I think