Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers - a suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting back to the wipers issue - I would think a double-tap to activate constant wiping would be handy - then each single tap after that cycles through speeds, and finally back to auto.

Using voice is a no-no, sometimes you pass a lorry and need an instant fast wipe to start, waiting for the voice command would be too slow. Firstly, if anyone else is in the car talking you have to tell them to shut up first. Then, it often just flashes green but doesn't do anything. I'd say at least 30% of the time it misinterprets what you are saying.

eg - "Ponteland" in Northumberland (pronounced Pont-ee-land) came up with Pom Thailand. Given that I was very near Ponteland at the time, it was evident that the voice recognition is no where near as clever as Google on my phone.

I, and clearly many others, still do not feel comfortable using the wiper system on the model 3, particularly at night.

The auto mode is still poor ( there are still times when it is on when you don’t want it and not when you do) so you end up having to adjust settings manually which means you have to take your eyes off the road when you least want to ( I know you can talk to the car but I don’t always want to do this)

So I’d welcome feedback on a suggestion to see if the stalk can be programmed as follows - long press to continuously start the wipers and long press to stop them, and/or multiple presses for the various speeds

If the above has support does anyone have any idea how we could influence Tesla to make the change??

Or go with the VW solution from the 80s - press once to start a timer, press again to stop - that's the wiper frequency; press again to stop; repeat for new delay.
Or tesla should log manual settings from an S/X and use that to train its AI

Getting back to the wipers issue - I would think a double-tap to activate constant wiping would be handy - then each single tap after that cycles through speeds, and finally back to auto.

This is the simplest option. No change to the existing functionality: quick press for wipe, press and hold for washer.

Just add the additional option to double-tap for constant wipe with additional tap to cycle. Brilliant.

Reactions: adsheff