Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers activating unexpectedly, even on a bright sunny day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windshield wipers are annoying with a near full self driving car, so to protest your going back to a non-self driving car? Why not manually drive your Tesla with the wipers off? Also, it's not the bugs... clean the inside of the windshield in front of cameras on a non-humid day every 6 months. Easier than removing the windshield wipers...

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Windshield wipers are annoying with a near full self driving car, so to protest your going back to a non-self driving car? Why not manually drive your Tesla with the wipers off? Also, it's not the bugs... clean the inside of the windshield in front of cameras on a non-humid day every 6 months. Easier than removing the windshield wipers...
Tesla is a far cry from near full self driving. Every other manufacturer lets use cruise control and basic autosteer (I.e basic autopilot) without having snotty wipers constantly dry wiping.

This is one my probs with an M3. The auto wipers are a pain in rain and without rain. I keep my windows clean inside and out. And the wipers just think its seeing moisture when there is none and will wipe. Even in rain, the wipers come on way too frequently. At least Tesla added some delay options a year or so ago. But it still needs improvement.

In my opinion, adding an old school cruise control would resolve the issue for me. But I think Tesla would go out of business before they added something that is just cruise control.

Also, I think this doesnt get much attention because many people never use cruise control with any car. So, it is a small part of owners, like me, that want cruise control. Therefore, it wont ever be addressed. I will just have to sit patiently until L3 exists; if ever.

A small price to pay for being an M3 owner....

This is one my probs with an M3. The auto wipers are a pain in rain and without rain. I keep my windows clean inside and out. And the wipers just think its seeing moisture when there is none and will wipe. Even in rain, the wipers come on way too frequently. At least Tesla added some delay options a year or so ago. But it still needs improvement.

In my opinion, adding an old school cruise control would resolve the issue for me. But I think Tesla would go out of business before they added something that is just cruise control.

Also, I think this doesnt get much attention because many people never use cruise control with any car. So, it is a small part of owners, like me, that want cruise control. Therefore, it wont ever be addressed. I will just have to sit patiently until L3 exists; if ever.

The only way to get dumb cruise control is to buy a Tesla without AP, but that is no longer offered. I agree that Tesla will not just offer a dumb CC to cars with AP because it would be implying that AP doesn't work.

However, Tesla haven't been completely plugging their ears. They finally added scroll wheel control of wiper speed.

Maybe in the future they will add sensitivity adjustments, which likely would address most concerns.

I don't think that I've ever had my tires rotated on my 3 :oops: . 2 fronts are original at 27K miles. 2 rears have about 14K or so on them. Thread depth on a recent check was about 4/32" all around so I expect to get another 5-8K miles and then I'll probably go with a set of Bridgestone Turanza EVs. I'd say if you're getting even wear and no noticeable cupping or alignment issues (like pulling in one direction with your hands off the steering wheel), then leave it.

Mine just started doing this. Infuriating.
Welcome to the club

The problem with adding basic old-school cruise control is user confusion over which (adaptive vs basic) is active.

My wife's Equinox has both and she only uses the adaptive cruise BUT the icon that distinguishes between them is tiny and easily overlooked.

Poor placement of wiper button. Sometimes when I touch the turn signal lever I accidentally touch the wiper button, and it activates the wipers but not the fluid so then my windshield gets scratched.