Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers activating unexpectedly, even on a bright sunny day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last couple of times I went for a drive, the wipers started in completely dry conditions. The first time I thought maybe there was some dew on the windshield, but today, in broad sunlight and completely dry they came on at the highest speed for about 15 seconds. Car was recently updated to 2022.36.20, but it happened at least once before the update. Any ideas?

Auto wipers use the cameras to detect moisture on the windshield. It sucks. Everything “Auto” sucks in this car. Auto headlights, auto wipers, auto steer, auto climate control, auto park all suck.
I think you need a new brand.
Maybe time for a new car then?

My auto everything works like it should.
Same here.

Navigate on AutoPilot turns on auto wipers

Note
Autopilot requires wipers to be set to Auto. This setting is automatic and you cannot change it.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how your comment helps explain why my wipers start operating when the windshield is completely dry.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how your comment helps explain why my wipers start operating when the windshield is completely dry.
He was responding to comment above his that didn't seem to know that AP (including NOA) turns on auto wipers every time even if it was disabled.

As for the dry wipes, the auto wipers activate when it thinks the front cameras are not clear. User fixable things that might cause it is dirty or coated glass (sometimes inside housing, some people have taken it off to clean), condensation inside the housing (use defrost to clear). Things unfixable for user are false detections (like certain light patterns that look like rain, sometimes this is repeatable if you drive past the same exact scene in the same time of day and weather).

Thing to keep in mind is that it is all based on the camera unit. So sometimes if spray hits the bottom windshield but not the unit, it won't activate. Sometimes spray hits the unit, but not the bottom windshield and it'll activate even if your view is clear.

Last edited:
The last couple of times I went for a drive, the wipers started in completely dry conditions.
I've had this start to happen in the past month or so. It is usually (only?) in bright sun. My guess is the car sees motes of dust on the windshield lit up by the sun and it thinks these is rain drops.

The first time it happened (or so I thought) there actually was a mist on the windshield that I hadn't noticed while I was driving. But since then it has been happening in totally dry conditions (with bright sun).

I posted in another thread about this same issue starting only recently. Mine does it at the same place on my morning drive with Autopilot engaged. My windshield is immaculate. This behavior only started since the last update. Ridiculous we can't turn off auto wipers with Autopilot engaged. I hope an update fixes this as it feels like nails on a chalkboard when it wipes a perfectly clean windshield.

Reactions: ehadrive3