TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wipers ... and their armatures

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sp4rk, Jun 13, 2012.

1. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

#1 sp4rk, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Wonder how the model S will handle their wipers? Anyone seen them work?

What am I on about?

It's this.

My (USA) Leaf has wipers where the armature points are lined up with the drivers side of the car.

When they wipe, the passenger gets a wipe and that's it.

The driver, on the other hand, gets both a wipe AND a face full of wiper arms that really get in the way of vision.

My UK car, a Mitsubishi, of course is reversed. But the (windscreen :smile:) wipers are the same. And I get a face full of wiper arms.

My Nissan dealer assumes it has to do with the dashboard harness and that it is attached to the armatures close by.

Change the dashboard to the UK or USA (left/right) and the wipers are again right in the way of the driver.

Some manufacturers (no idea which but think Merc is one) use a single armature and do a pleasant 180 sweep.

I hope the S does that.

On the wiper front ... one thing I'll miss is having had SUV type cars (including the Leaf) for decades, I'll have no rear window wiper on the S.

The X presumably has one?

Anyone any ideas?

2. Zextraterrestrial

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I have a rear wiper and will really hate to go without. But I at least garage my car now, so I doubt I will mind as much.

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Thanks for the link to video ... very disappointed they didn't think that through.

Strike 2. :)

(1 was red rear turn signals.)

5. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

While I really like rear wipers on my SUV, I don't ever recall needing them on my past sedans/coupes. Angled rear windshields don't get dirty like vertical ones do in my experience. And snow only accumulates when parked (outside), and up here we always carry scrapers in our cars in winter, so I don't anticipate much trouble for me.

As to the OP, definitely not all wipers are created equal ;) I really like my Ford Explorer's wipers, not that it matters incredibly much. And my '06 Civic had a very nice wiping pattern (very good coverage). I've had annoying ones in the past (I think my GM vehicles weren't great), but I made do.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

FWIW, the Roadster has a single wide sweep wiper like that just like on the Lotus Elise.

monowipe.jpg

Sorry, nope. More conventional wiper arrangement on the S.

7. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

TEG

I assume you work for TM?

Why can't they at least center the pivots points at 1/3rds.

Or use the Roadster version?

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Snapped these today

2012-06-13 14.05.39.jpg
    2012-06-13 14.06.45.jpg

9. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Are you stalking your local "design center"?

:)

10. youlikeadajuice

Slightly different, but still wiper related question...For those of you who have experienced it, how effective is the "auto" function for wipers? I've never had this feature before and am curious how well it works!

11. strider

strider Active Member

Heh. No, he just has nothing better to do ;)

12. strider

strider Active Member

I'm assuming they're using Mercedes' system so I would search for reviews on that.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

My experience is with Mini's and BMW's ones and they are very effective. A very thin drizzle might rarely 'slip through the cracks' if you will and might need a manual nudge (I turn the 'auto-sensing' system off and turn it back on through a steering stem button on the Mini) but, they work very well otherwise.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Then you assumed wrong...

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Model S wipers remind me of LEAF wipers. Same large "primary" wiper, and the passenger gets a stubby angled one.
    leafwipe.jpg

16. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

They work pretty well (at least the BMW version) and you shouldn't have to deal with water that affects your ability to see. Doesn't seem to be overly sensitive either, wiping essentially dry glass).

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

It's more along the lines of 'near total recall, a huge asset here on the forum'.

Thank you, Teg.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Infiniti automatic wipers are about 98% reliable.

It has two failure modes. Once in a blue moon it starts intermittent wiping on a dry windshield right after I start the car. This is very rare, though; I think it's happened just a couple of times in the last two years.

Sometimes if the drizzle starts very slowly it doesn't clue in - it's probably like one of those house alarm motion detectors that you can walk by if you do it rediculously slowly. This happens occasionally, but simply bumping the control starts it working.

Overall I'm very happy with the auto wipers... they really work surprisngly well. I usually just leave them turned on all the time, even on sunny days because I usually forget they are on.

19. onlinespending

So the Model S has auto wipers? Wasn't aware of that

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup, it's listed on the site