Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers don't work properly in Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen other posts about wipers problems with wipers in Auto mode.
I have these problems on my new Model Y. Am running the latest update just updated.
Sometimes wipers turn on or continue to run when windshield is completely dry.
Other times they don't turn on when the windshield is wet.
Have needed to turn off Auto mode many times, but then it reverts back for no apparent reason.
In summary, buggy.
Has any one identified a solution, or is this a warranty issue fixable by Tesla ?
Checking here before contacting Tesla service....

I have 2 BMW with auto wipers and they are working as expected. However, Tesla auto wipers are sub par. When I had my car at the SC and mentioned the auto wipers issues, I was told the auto wipers works as intended. Tesla used the camera at the top of the windshield but BMW and others used IR LED rain and condensation sensor behind the windshield.

It's no longer a valid argument for people to say the Neural Network will solve this problem over time. The issue is that all other car manufacturers use a dedicated rain sensor and Tesla is trying to do auto wipers by examining the camera video.

Yeah, after 5 years, it's proven that just doesn't work, and no amount of Neural data will ever fix it. End of story.

One day Tesla will slip in a dedicated sensor and never mention they were wrong from the start, and that day will be a good day for new Tesla owners. For the rest of us, we will have manual wipers for the remaining life of our cars.

Last edited:
Sometimes they go crazy and wipe excessively, but usually once you get driving it calms down. Try to single wipe with the button on the left stalk to get it out of crazy mode. If there is mist it might not do anything bc the cameras can see fine. Again, single wipe.

I very rarely change to intermittent. Most of the time I find Auto to work very well.

Reactions: house9
Interesting to read this. Non Tesla owner here (but I just test drove one and am trying to educate myself).
On my test drive the wipers came on 4 times on their own accord but my hands were not at 10 and 2 when it happened and whole heartedly I did not accidentally touch the level. When I mentioned this to the SA when I got back to the lot he looked at my husband and I like we were crazy. At the time we had been on country roads and I thought maybe a bird had flown by and dropped it's lunch or the sensor had mistaken wind or a leaf for water dropping. Now I'm not so sure? Good to know I'm not crazy!

I had a case where my auto wiper did turned ON and did not stop. It was a dry day, no rain at all. I found out that I had a lot of dead bugs on the windshield. After cleaning out the dead bugs in front of the camera, the auto wipers sort of resumed the normal operation. I never seen this issue on my two BMW.

A dirty windshield will turn on the auto-wipers because the car uses optical cameras to determine if there's rain or dust on the windshield. I washed my car but I had to leave in a hurry in the middle of it and it left a bunch of water spots on my windshield that triggered the auto-wipers. Went away after I had the chance to properly clean the windshield.

Reactions: cancoi
As winter winds down, I'm finding the auto wiper operation is becoming more tolerable. They seem to work quite well in rain; it's salt spray, dirt and snow that they have trouble coping with. I do wish Tesla had taken the same approach as VW, which puts the wipers into slow intermittent operation when the car isn't moving. There's no need to clear the windshield so thoroughly at a standstill, and I find it aggravating that the wipers run faster than necessary in the that situation. Lots of improvement is needed on this system. I'd also like to Tesla to add MANUAL and OFF labels under the wiper icon on the controls bar. Because of the need for continuous driver intervention in certain conditions, it can be difficult to keep track of what mode they're in.

I agree. Either it doesn’t turn on even when it’s raining or it will wipe slowly for the amount of rain falling or will suddenly go wild and very fast AFTER the rain has slowed down.

I have given up on Tesla. The only thing going for Tesla is the extended battery life. Otherwise it is way behind regular car manufacturers.

If this continues it will not gain new customers and will start loosing customers (including me) as soon as other manufacturers catch up with battery life.

Several either essential or accepted norm in ICE cars are either not present or poorly executed in Tesla.

Why can’t Tesla just setup Auto to have sensitivity settings? My old Jeep always had auto wipers activated, I just had to select the sensitivity level. They could even use the 1-4 manual settings for the sensitivity settings. This is such an easy fix with a software update. For now I will continue to press the single wipe to get it out of crazy mode. I find having a ceramic coat on the windshield helps the auto function much better.

Reactions: MikeR99
Have seen other posts about wipers problems with wipers in Auto mode.
I have these problems on my new Model Y. Am running the latest update just updated.
Sometimes wipers turn on or continue to run when windshield is completely dry.
Other times they don't turn on when the windshield is wet.
Have needed to turn off Auto mode many times, but then it reverts back for no apparent reason.
In summary, buggy.
Has any one identified a solution, or is this a warranty issue fixable by Tesla ?
Checking here before contacting Tesla service....

Just a sample of threads about this subject in the model 3 forum. BTW, there is zero (less than zero) chance that contacting tesla with " a service appointment" will do anything other than get the appointment canceled.

Pretty much every software update, someone says either " the wipers got worse" or "the wipers got better". Unlike the S and X, the 3 and Y are basically the same car, so pretty much everything discussed in this section has likely been discussed heavily in the model 3 section.

This is just a small sampling of discussion on this issue. There are likely 3 times this many threads about this topic

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung