Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers getting faked out in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw another thread about this issue but didn't see if anybody ever found a resolution.

I have two different garages. One is a two car garage with some shelving in the back and typical garage stuff. No issues in that one. The single car garage is totally separate with nothing at all inside except for white drywall. It is a small garage with basically just enough room for the car to go in and for you to open the door halfway and get out.

When I pull into the small garage everything is fine. But when I come back later and start the car it immediately uses the windshield wipers, and then after a few seconds increases the speed, and after a few more seconds is at max wiper speed. I'm guessing there is something with the smaller garage that is faking out the rain sensor but I'm not sure what that would be since it doesn't seem to happen when I first pull in.

I saw another thread about this issue but didn't see if anybody ever found a resolution.

I have two different garages. One is a two car garage with some shelving in the back and typical garage stuff. No issues in that one. The single car garage is totally separate with nothing at all inside except for white drywall. It is a small garage with basically just enough room for the car to go in and for you to open the door halfway and get out.

When I pull into the small garage everything is fine. But when I come back later and start the car it immediately uses the windshield wipers, and then after a few seconds increases the speed, and after a few more seconds is at max wiper speed. I'm guessing there is something with the smaller garage that is faking out the rain sensor but I'm not sure what that would be since it doesn't seem to happen when I first pull in.
It's a known issue, according to the STL service center rep I spoke too. I have the same issue and was told by the service adviser that a software fix is being worked so hopefully it'll be squared away soon.

It's a known issue, according to the STL service center rep I spoke too. I have the same issue and was told by the service adviser that a software fix is being worked so hopefully it'll be squared away soon.

The function is marked as “Beta” in the Model X.

My guess is it won’t improve until HW3 is fully deployed and the code is optimized for HW3. The Auto wipers and Auto Highbeam use Neural Nets for there implementation.

Reactions: NuttyM3
I never leave the wipers in Auto. Because they simply don’t work correctly most of the time. And set it only when needed.

So, It has been "misty and overcast, with small sprinkles" on my commute to work the past two days. My experience with this weather condition in my tesla was, it would NEVER read the small drops on my windshield "fast enough" or wipe "fast enouch" when this particular condition occurred.

It always seemed that, previously, it would do ok with a downpour, but not ok with overcast and slight drizzle.

The past two days, one on version 9 sw and one on version 10, it has been *perfect* in this condition. Good enough that I never had to touch the manual swipe button at all. Good enough that it it reminded me of my wifes 2019 BMW and my previous BMWs for wiper performance on "automatic" which was good enough that I almost never thought about it.

I know there are normally "wipers = better" threads on every software update, but it really felt better to me.

So, It has been "misty and overcast, with small sprinkles" on my commute to work the past two days. My experience with this weather condition in my tesla was, it would NEVER read the small drops on my windshield "fast enough" or wipe "fast enouch" when this particular condition occurred.

It always seemed that, previously, it would do ok with a downpour, but not ok with overcast and slight drizzle.

The past two days, one on version 9 sw and one on version 10, it has been *perfect* in this condition. Good enough that I never had to touch the manual swipe button at all. Good enough that it it reminded me of my wifes 2019 BMW and my previous BMWs for wiper performance on "automatic" which was good enough that I almost never thought about it.

I know there are normally "wipers = better" threads on every software update, but it really felt better to me.

Completely random. And if they did seriously put some effort, I think we’d hear about it. Been let down by the same claims on every release in the last year.

Reactions: Msjulie
Completely random. And if they did seriously put some effort, I think we’d hear about it. Been let down by the same claims on every release in the last year.

Could be, sure. I dont get enough rain in california normally by this time of year to know. When I picked up the car in december, it was "the rainy season" in southern california, so there were plenty of rainy days for me to use the wipers and see how aweful they were. Pretty much the thing I dislike the most about the car (1st world problems ftw!).

I never remember the car actually wiping in a frequency that I was happy with for any length of time, and they sure did the past 2 days. Could be random, sure. Will take more of these days to see. I also dont get weather here like you do in MA so my "drizzly" might not be the same as your definition of same.

Could be, sure. I dont get enough rain in california normally by this time of year to know. When I picked up the car in december, it was "the rainy season" in southern california, so there were plenty of rainy days for me to use the wipers and see how aweful they were. Pretty much the thing I dislike the most about the car (1st world problems ftw!).

I never remember the car actually wiping in a frequency that I was happy with for any length of time, and they sure did the past 2 days. Could be random, sure. Will take more of these days to see. I also dont get weather here like you do in MA so my "drizzly" might not be the same as your definition of same.

They have always worked in some conditions. Then you feel like your in the same conditions again, and then they don’t.

It would take a dozen different types of rain to convince me they made serious improvements.