TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wipers in a tunnel?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by iwannam3, Jun 22, 2018.

1. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Twice now in the Sunset highway heading west from Portland, OR, my wipers have come on twice in the perfectly dry tunnel! Could the strobe effect from passing under the tunnel light fixtures confuse the rain sensor?

• Like x 1
  2. marusan

marusan Member

This happens to me in my VW whenever I have my rain-sensing wipers on, and I follow a Google self-driving car. The LIDAR confuses the sensors into thinking there's something on my windshield. I suspect something similar is afoot.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Have had that happen in a couple of different states so far. Bone dry conditions. Different tunnel lighting each time. No idea what’s up. Annoying since it further smeared the windshield, the top third of which wasn’t getting cleaned to begin with.

Gremlins. Or suboptimal acceptance testing that failed to account for the tunnel use case.

Tangentially, tunnel differentiation is now gone as a result of the improved(?) maps package. That feature would now be (Navi)gon[e], as it were.

4. wagonwheel

wagonwheel Member

This issue of tunnels is actually addressed by Tesla's Andrej Karpathy in this video. Watch the segment from 25:26 - 26:49.
    Building the Software 2.0 Stack by Andrej Karpathy from Tesla

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

This is my commute route! I will have to see if my car does the same thing once I finally get it (4/18 invite purgatory currently)

Perhaps you are one of the M3’s I have been seeing around Beaverton/Hillsboro...

6. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

I'm north of Vancouver. I was at the vintage Tek museum on the Tektronics campus and a matching blue model 3 pulled up. We agreed we both had excellent taste in automobiles.

• Like x 1
  7. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

With the latest update on software, made it through the tunnel fine. 2018.24.1

8. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

Thanks for the update regarding the wipers on the latest update.

@TaoJones The AP team is definitely aware of the issue. Andrej Karpathy even highlights the struggle with it and tunnels in this insightful video:
    (Linked to the Auto Wipers part, but great vid overall)

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1