Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers-is ther a way to adjust so they cover more area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine leave the significant gap on the driver's side, a very large untouched area on the passenger's side, and smearing/streaking (and a vertical line left by the passenger side blade) directly within my field of vision either a little bit when not moving, or a lot when at speed.

Will have to see, during an upcoming visit to address various issues, if Service can replace the blades (expected), extend the driver's side reach (seems reasonable) to address what is either a misconfiguration or an obvious design defect, and possibly adjust the spray pattern. The last one is tricky as it appears, by design, that the spray pattern lowers as speed increases. Still, the as-delivered result is somewhere between annoying and dangerous.

Collectively, the other result is running out of wiper fluid every month. In my last car (Volvo C70 with similar asymmetrical wipers and large windshield area), I never had to refill so frequently, and there was no streaking or vertical line.

Last edited:
Model S have a 4-5" untouched gap on the drivers side. this is by design... very annoying. tesla should have fixed this long time ago.

I have fixed this by applying Alaska HD nanocoat on the windscreen (and the car) - this way I don't need to use the whipers at all.

The last one is tricky as it appears, by design, that the spray pattern lowers as speed increases. Still, the as-delivered result is somewhere between annoying and dangerous.

We've noticed this issue too, though whether it is by design or not I couldn't say. The issue is that at highway speed, with road spray from snow and salt, etc., there is really no effective way to clean the windshield. At slower speeds washing the windshield works reasonably well, though it does seem to require more fluid, because the spray is in a very small area. We were wondering if this was a problem unique to our car, and I was going to ask about it the first time the car is at a service center. But your post makes it sound like this is a known issue.

Also the P85Ds have new, Bosch wipers, and people seem to think that these solve the problems that existed before with streaking, etc. So here too, the issues we're seeing may be unique to our car, but we definitely have some streaking. Perhaps the wipers just need an adjustment. But being a couple of hundred miles away from a service center, that's not a trivial task.