TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wipers-is ther a way to adjust so they cover more area?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Larry, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Larry

Larry Member

Mine leave a 6 inch unwiped(is that a word?)area on the edge of the drivers side, they just don't go far enough left.
    Thanks

2. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Longer blades is the only way I can think of. Software won't fix this. Have never heard this observation.

3. harry

harry Member

Just as with most cars, it is possible to remove the arms and reposition them slightly (the arms fit onto a splined shaft).

4. jamieb

jamieb Member

Mine leave a similar 5" gap on the drivers' side when running at normal speed, but go almost to the very edge when on high speed. Does yours do this? I asked at a service center and was told this was normal behavior.

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#5 TaoJones, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Mine leave the significant gap on the driver's side, a very large untouched area on the passenger's side, and smearing/streaking (and a vertical line left by the passenger side blade) directly within my field of vision either a little bit when not moving, or a lot when at speed.

Will have to see, during an upcoming visit to address various issues, if Service can replace the blades (expected), extend the driver's side reach (seems reasonable) to address what is either a misconfiguration or an obvious design defect, and possibly adjust the spray pattern. The last one is tricky as it appears, by design, that the spray pattern lowers as speed increases. Still, the as-delivered result is somewhere between annoying and dangerous.

Collectively, the other result is running out of wiper fluid every month. In my last car (Volvo C70 with similar asymmetrical wipers and large windshield area), I never had to refill so frequently, and there was no streaking or vertical line.

6. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Model S have a 4-5" untouched gap on the drivers side. this is by design... very annoying. tesla should have fixed this long time ago.

I have fixed this by applying Alaska HD nanocoat on the windscreen (and the car) - this way I don't need to use the whipers at all.

7. Larry

Larry Member

Is this an easy thing to do or do I need to take it in? It's easy on my Dodge truck but that isn't this.

8. harry

harry Member

I watched a Ranger do it on our car, and it looked like a standard spline and nut arrangement just as in any car. The service center should do it for you if you ask, tho, and that would probably be the most cautious way.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

We've noticed this issue too, though whether it is by design or not I couldn't say. The issue is that at highway speed, with road spray from snow and salt, etc., there is really no effective way to clean the windshield. At slower speeds washing the windshield works reasonably well, though it does seem to require more fluid, because the spray is in a very small area. We were wondering if this was a problem unique to our car, and I was going to ask about it the first time the car is at a service center. But your post makes it sound like this is a known issue.

Also the P85Ds have new, Bosch wipers, and people seem to think that these solve the problems that existed before with streaking, etc. So here too, the issues we're seeing may be unique to our car, but we definitely have some streaking. Perhaps the wipers just need an adjustment. But being a couple of hundred miles away from a service center, that's not a trivial task.