Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers not lowering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed while driving this evening that I could see the top of my wipers, where as I don't recall seeing them before. In fact when I washed my car a week ago, I had a bit of a challenged getting under the wipers to dry the windshield. The wipers are definitely higher now.

I did notice that the wipers turned on when I first got in the car this evening, which I found odd. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have the Rain Sensing enabled with the lever switched to the first setting. No rain today. I've turned on the wipers to see if it'll eventually lower itself but it doesn't go any lower.

I'm running Firmware Version 2017.50.3 f3425a1

I've attached a couple of pics of the outside of the car. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180119_223809.jpg
    20180119_223809.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 572
  • 20180119_223825.jpg
    20180119_223825.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 438
Has anyone experienced this before?
I've had something similar happening before 2017.50.3 - at speed set to 1 or 2 the wipers will go up to the position that yours are stuck at, then continue wiping after a couple of seconds. It did not occur when using higher wiping speeds. I have reported it to SC but they could not replicate the issue. They did replace my blades though.

It’s a little hard to tell from the pictures, but the wiper position looks very similar to where the wipers rest in my 2015 model S. There is actually a little L shaped mark on the windshield that shows where the wipers are supposed to rest as shown in the picture below. This is on the passenger side on my car and I was pushing down the wiper as little to show the mark, but when I let go it rests right on the line. There is a similar mark on the passenger side of the drivers’s side wiper as well.

585079BD-1117-4F1F-BC93-2CA96E1188B6.jpeg

My wipers are on auto, and position 2 all the time. They are in full rest all the way down when it’s not raining or the car is off (and that’s where the wipers wipe to when they are on).

This condition of OP’s sounds like old cars I had where intermittent had wipers going back and forth and not all the way down. Then when you actually turned them off, they parked all the way down. I’ve not seen that on my X ever.

Once I turned my wipers off on my P100D mid-wipe and they were resting in this position: (Not my photo just something similar to the way my wipers were).
ximm

I sprayed the washer fluid on the windshield and they returned to the normal resting position.

It’s a little hard to tell from the pictures, but the wiper position looks very similar to where the wipers rest in my 2015 model S. There is actually a little L shaped mark on the windshield that shows where the wipers are supposed to rest as shown in the picture below. This is on the passenger side on my car and I was pushing down the wiper as little to show the mark, but when I let go it rests right on the line. There is a similar mark on the passenger side of the drivers’s side wiper as well.

View attachment 274579
Unfortunately I was not able to find r his Mark.

Thank you all for your input.

I neglected to mention that I recently (last week) had my windshield replaced by the SC for a crack (those nasty pebbles). The position of the wipers didn'y raise until when the wipers started when I got in the car (per my post above). I did try to push the blades down a bit yesterday and i was ae to lower them very little, until I ran the wipers and it went back to the raised position. I also want to mention that the wipers are not very high, just enough for me to see them from the inside.

I think I will make an appointment with the SC to see what's up (pun intended ).

Thank you Tesla friends.

Unfortunately I was not able to find r his Mark.

I believe they exist on every car, although I will say it was a bit difficult to find on my model S as the bottom of the windshield is black and the mark was made by omitting the black in that spot, so the mark is just clear. But the area behind the bottom of the windshield is dark as well, so it’s like trying to find black on black. I had to move around a bit to find an angle where the mark showed in the picture. Here’s another picture that shows more of the car that might help you locate it. Again, the wiper was pushed down a little to expose the mark.

ED1F1804-6EB7-4339-AD2C-4D957C509402.jpeg

I believe they exist on every car, although I will say it was a bit difficult to find on my model S as the bottom of the windshield is black and the mark was made by omitting the black in that spot, so the mark is just clear. But the area behind the bottom of the windshield is dark as well, so it’s like trying to find black on black. I had to move around a bit to find an angle where the mark showed in the picture. Here’s another picture that shows more of the car that might help you locate it. Again, the wiper was pushed down a little to expose the mark.

View attachment 274807
Thanks Brett, I will check.

Hi Mygr8, did you ever find a solution to your wiper problem? I just experienced the same in my MY 2021—use wiper with a single press of the stalk and instead of returning all the way down, it stops just 1-2 inches short. Interestingly, when I open the driver door, it goes back fully down. I'm wondering if the car wash person accidentally may have tried pulling it up without using the service mode. Thanks!