Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers on Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having issues with wipers in the auto position? Specifically, when driving on a sunny day, the wipers sporadically go to continuous fast speed and the only solution is to turn them off. There is no moisture hitting the windshield and it only happens on maybe 20% of my drives. I've rebooted but that didn't resolve it. Not a huge deal, just an annoyance but curious if anyone has a fix. Issue has been happening since June 2021 (delivery) and all software is up to date. Thanks!

First drive today in the wet. Auto mode is awful and simply not safe... WTF! It is not functional...
In addition, diverting attention from the road to the screen trying to hit the tiny square to change the mode...
I have at home service coming in a few days, will add this to the list but doubt it will make a difference.

Reactions: 101dals
Upvote 0
First drive today in the wet. Auto mode is awful and simply not safe... WTF! It is not functional...
In addition, diverting attention from the road to the screen trying to hit the tiny square to change the mode...
I have at home service coming in a few days, will add this to the list but doubt it will make a difference.
Have you tried voice command? That's the whole point of voice control, isn't it? ZERO distraction, press a button, speak...done.

Sorry yours is awful.

Upvote 0
If auto mode isn't efficient, voice command makes it better? Please give an example of what should I say.
I wasn't implying that voice command makes it better. Sorry for the confusion.

I was addressing your phrase: "In addition, diverting attention from the road to the screen trying to hit the tiny square to change the mode..."

Reactions: ArtK
Upvote 0
The Tesla auto wipers are so bad it is almost funny. Driving in snow or salty road spray is the worst.
Most times I just give up and use manual mode. They better never take that button off the stalk is all I can say. It would be impossible to drive otherwise.
Exactly my thoughts while driving the other day. Funny how a car with so many features would mess up one that's so simple yet essential for everyone's safety.

Reactions: 101dals and rjpjnk
Upvote 0
Interesting thread. Took a 3 day road trip a week ago, raging storm, 20-30mph wind, and auto wipers reacted to rain quantity almost exactly as I needed them.

One thing I noticed: in the dark, the auto wiper feature does get confused by random lights.

Upvote 0
Interesting thread. Took a 3 day road trip a week ago, raging storm, 20-30mph wind, and auto wipers reacted to rain quantity almost exactly as I needed them.

One thing I noticed: in the dark, the auto wiper feature does get confused by random lights.
My guess is that falling snow (less dense & lighter than rain) & spray coming up off the road on an otherwise clear day don't trigger the sensors in the same way falling rain does. So more of a problem for us Northern folks, I guess. An easy solution would be for Tesla to simply add more speed settings so that if Auto fails, we can set a half-acceptable wiper speed to drive safely, without having to manually press the button on the stalk every 10 seconds.

Upvote 0