Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers randomly turn on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have their windshield wipers randomly swipe with no moisture? Ours did it about 6 times in a 12 mile trip. Just one swipe each time.
Yes, mine do it every time I pull into the garage.
Manually disabling vipers solves this for me. Then, when the rain starts, it the left stalk button, which prompts one wipe and brings the wiper menu on the screen. Re-enable on whatever setting you desire.

Repeat as necessary.

a

Anyone else have their windshield wipers randomly swipe with no moisture? Ours did it about 6 times in a 12 mile trip. Just one swipe each time.
I've had my car almost four weeks now. Today was the first time the wipers got used, I used the button to squirt fluid on the window to clean it a bit. For the remainder of the hour long drive they would randomly come on. About five minutes after using the squiters the windshield was bone dry again, so really annoying.

Reactions: trojaneen
Is it just me but when I put the car in reverse the wipers turn on in the fastest mode, it seems to do this pretty regularly, can't image what the thought is, maybe the back camera is dirty so it turns the front wiper on? I also have resorted to turning off auto mode until I actually need it, I also don't like it when it wipes with the windshield is fogged a bit with nothing on the outside, just smearing the glass all up.

Pulled up to a storefront with one of those vinyl banners as a temporary sign. The banner was well secured on all four corners, but still making waves in the breeze. The low angle of the winter made shadows from the waves. My wipers turned on high. I just assumed the car's software interpreted the waves as water washing across the windshield.

There have been other times the wipers have swiped once or twice on an otherwise dry and sunny day. Could've been a bug splatted in front of the camera. Who knows.

Pulled up to a storefront with one of those vinyl banners as a temporary sign. The banner was well secured on all four corners, but still making waves in the breeze. The low angle of the winter made shadows from the waves. My wipers turned on high. I just assumed the car's software interpreted the waves as water washing across the windshield.

There have been other times the wipers have swiped once or twice on an otherwise dry and sunny day. Could've been a bug splatted in front of the camera. Who knows.
Reminds me of a joke... Whats the last thing on a bugs mind after it hits your windshield at 80mph? Its a**hole! :cool:

Reactions: Ampre Sand
Never had an issue with the wipers in almost 3 1/2 years of ownership. i leave it on automatic, and it just works. One of the things I’m so glad I never have to think about.
If I had to find one issue with them it would be that occasionally (and it is rare!) the wipers do not slow down after a downpour has eased. I then manually turn them down and then back to automatic. Apart from that, I think they work great.

Here too. Wipers will very occasionally turn on when completely dry and cycle for a few times before stopping. They will also almost always, interpret rain intensity VERY BADLY when on auto. I will on EVERY occasion have to intervene and increase frequency of wipers from intermittent to faster and back again when it's raining. No idea what they're sensing but I have found it extremely dangerous at night when wipers will not go to fast setting in heavy rain and think it's ok to stay on intermittent.
This tech has been around for decades so for me it's again, another surprising sub par feature on such a modern car. It's almost like Elon Musk deliberately ignored the years of automotive learning across all facets of driving and simply did his own thing from scratch. Works in some instances but some of these mainstream safety features have been dialled in for many years in other marques. Anyhow, I suppose when you own a car company you can do what you like.

To really understand why this is happening you need to understand how the auto wipers work. The auto wiper features leveraged the front camera and a neural net to detect whether they should come on or not. As a result, it does produce false positives.
1658238161386.png

... strikes again ...

Basically your car is seeing rain on the windshield and turning on the wipers as a result.
No kidding.
And that's what the thread is all about!

In ~4 years of ownership, my wipers false rate hasn't changed much. Some updates it gets better, after others it gets worse.
I've stopped checking, and expecting any improvements from software updates.