Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers running when no rain present

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a strange issue that I could not solve through multiple resets. First problem is in the middle of the day with a lot of sunlight, my headlights stay on for a while. After 5 minutes or so they turn off. Also time to time the wipers make one sweep without any rain. I noticed when they do that the headlights are also on. Again 5 minutes later everything goes back to normal. I called Tesla as soon as it happened so they will have a time mark. They could not say why it was doing it. They had some ideas such as my windshield is dirty or a bug hit the windshield, but that wasn’t it. I am guessing the camera that is used for sensing light levels and rain is giving a false reading time to time and causing this issue. Anyone had the same problem? This is a AP1.

Has happened to me, often. The issue seems to be a collection of moisture, overnight, in the area where the sensor is located. Solution: change the wiper mode from "Auto" to "Off". How to do this is not obvious: Press the wiper icon to bring up the wiper controls screen. Then press the wiper icon again to turn off the wipers completely. When the sensor area dries out, you can restore "Auto" wiper mode.

Amusingly, every driver should know how: My wife called me from the car, today, when she could not turn them off, but the phone icon evidently precluded her being able to see the wiper icon. She had to call me back without using the car speaker!

Has happened to me, often. The issue seems to be a collection of moisture, overnight, in the area where the sensor is located. Solution: change the wiper mode from "Auto" to "Off". How to do this is not obvious: Press the wiper icon to bring up the wiper controls screen. Then press the wiper icon again to turn off the wipers completely. When the sensor area dries out, you can restore "Auto" wiper mode.

Amusingly, every driver should know how: My wife called me from the car, today, when she could not turn them off, but the phone icon evidently precluded her being able to see the wiper icon. She had to call me back without using the car speaker!

On the Model X, it is just a switch on the end of the turn signal lever. No icons.