Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers stutter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner's manual says not to use Rain-X type solutions.

"CAUTION Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises."
If you are using the OEM blade maybe. The OEM blades sucked, couldn't even last one week when the PacNW rains hit switched to PIAA SiTech, worked a bajillion times better.

I used the Clean n' Repel to clean the windshield. It doesnt leave a residue like rain-x.

Also the blue fluid Tesla uses is junk. It smells awful, and does not do anything to clean the windshield. I replaced it with the pink rain-x fluid. No more terrible odor, and it actually cleans the windshield when I have bugs, which was quite a lot when I drove thru the California desert at night. No problems at all with streaking or smearing. But I'm also running PIAA blades. The OEM blades were streaking and smearing even when new, in the first rain storm.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
If you are using the OEM blade maybe. The OEM blades sucked, couldn't even last one week when the PacNW rains hit switched to PIAA SiTech, worked a bajillion times better.

I used the Clean n' Repel to clean the windshield. It doesnt leave a residue like rain-x.

Also the blue fluid Tesla uses is junk. It smells awful, and does not do anything to clean the windshield. I replaced it with the pink rain-x fluid. No more terrible odor, and it actually cleans the windshield when I have bugs, which was quite a lot when I drove thru the California desert at night. No problems at all with streaking or smearing. But I'm also running PIAA blades. The OEM blades were streaking and smearing even when new, in the first rain storm.
I'm on month 23 with the OEM blades. Two 100+f TEXAS summers, road trips to FL (2) MD, CO (2) Zero issues.

As with tires, regional differences should be taken into account when discussing wiper blades.

Reactions: nate704
Had this wiper stutter on many cars. My MYP was smooth as could be driving it home from picking it up. Then the rain stopped. For months (very unusual). When rain returned wipers had a horrible stuttering and jerking. Did what I do to other cars I have had. Take a clean microfiber cloth and saturate a corner with WD40. Clean the blades with it wiping gently but thoroughly.. Problem solved. Lasts for quite a while. Repeat as required. Rain is a thing here most of the year. We have 50 different names for rain. Some years, the way you tell it's summer is the rain gets warmer.