Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers stutter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is due to:

1. Wiper rubber is old/hard
2. Windshield has some spots that are not smooth
3. Wiper arms are not fully tightened at the mounting bolts

Since you just got the car, it is most likely the windshield.
Try to scrub with alcohol +water mixture (1:1) several times, and use just water after that once a day to clean the windshield.

pbcsd: Have the detail shop look at it. They should know what to do.

As for OEM blades? I'm still using them after 18 months, 29k miles, and ZERO issues.

Of course, with supply chain issues, Tesla's vendor for wipers has probably changed, maybe even several times. YMMV!

Same thing with my new Model Y. I degreased the windshield and even applied graphene ceramic coating. But still stutters. 😞
Ceramic coating makes the surface very smooth, but the problem for the windshield is that it will wear out only the wiper coverage area making your windshield basically areas with ceramic coating where the wipers do not touch and the area that the wiper touches will have little or no coating over time.
If you completely degrease the windshield, the surface will be very sticky for the wipers to move smoothly. You have to use distilled water or regular water to restore the natural smoothness otherwise your wiper blades will shutter. Frequently (daily) cleaning your windshield with water only is the key here.

It doesn't take much in the way of contaminants to cause a chattering effect. I find that an excellent way to deep-clean the glass is use of "Nu-Finish" car polish. Helps the wipers glide nicely and even provides a water-shedding effect similar to "Rain-X". Use 2 applications for best effect.

Get silicone wiper blades - no stutter and no need for some coating on the glass. I put the PIAA Si Tech wiper blades on mine and never looked back.
Remember trying to find these in Canada but no luck, and some of the PiAA silicon ones I saw reviews for mentioned issues with the blades popping off in extreme cold (not an issue obviously in California!).

It doesn't take much in the way of contaminants to cause a chattering effect. I find that an excellent way to deep-clean the glass is use of "Nu-Finish" car polish. Helps the wipers glide nicely and even provides a water-shedding effect similar to "Rain-X". Use 2 applications for best effect.
The owner's manual says not to use Rain-X type solutions.

"CAUTION Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises."

Reactions: electricar
The owner's manual says not to use Rain-X type solutions.

"CAUTION Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises."
All I can say is the Nu-finish application does not have those negative side-effects in my experience, while I've definitely had them with Rain-X.

Reactions: Got2DrivePepe!