Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers turn on while on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have the same issue and have not figured out how to fix it basically means now I can't use the best feature of the car.
I had this happen. I pulled over and even though the windshield looked clean, I washed it off around the windshield camera and it quit doing the wipers (was a sunny day with no rain). autopilot uses the camera so I guess it’s trying to make sure it’s clean.

Upvote 0
Just had this happen to me, and it just started happening with 2023.6.8. Used tacc before and. I thing like this happened. I also turned on the wipers to auto while off tacc and the wipers didn’t turn on, but the minute I turned on tacc, the wipers would engage. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
This happened to me while on my road trip from So CA to Phoenix AZ.

My friend was laughing and calling the Tesla stupid because one of them keeps talking about how automation is bad for society. He was having his "this is why Tesla's suck" moment. But then he is always on his iPhone all day a lot watching YouTube videos and hating on Mr. Beast & Mark Rober.

But I fixed it right away by wiping the front window where the rear view mirror that holds the cameras are. Like with a squeegee from the gas station. I tried resetting my car, from another post, but it didn't work, only cleaning the windows that houses the cameras worked.

Upvote 0
This happened to me while on my road trip from So CA to Phoenix AZ.

My friend was laughing and calling the Tesla stupid because one of them keeps talking about how automation is bad for society. He was having his "this is why Tesla's suck" moment. But then he is always on his iPhone all day a lot watching YouTube videos and hating on Mr. Beast & Mark Rober.

But I fixed it right away by wiping the front window where the rear view mirror that holds the cameras are. Like with a squeegee from the gas station. I tried resetting my car, from another post, but it didn't work, only cleaning the windows that houses the cameras worked.
I’ll give that a go then.

Upvote 0
Just picked up my Model Y today. No issues with mine and I had both rain and sun on the drive home from the service center.
If you take a road trip and get a bunch of dust. Or maybe park it overnight and it gets dust. The glitch can happen.

Just find a squeegee at a gas station and wipe off the window at camera area (where the rear view mirror is). If it happens. Because mine was new too, like 1 week old.

Upvote 0
If you take a road trip and get a bunch of dust. Or maybe park it overnight and it gets dust. The glitch can happen.

Just find a squeegee at a gas station and wipe off the window at camera area (where the rear view mirror is). If it happens. Because mine was new too, like 1 week old.

Our new '23 MYLRAWD is doing this too. Engaging Autopilot/Autosteer forces the wipers into Auto mode, and in Auto mode they will turn on randomly in perfect weather. Very annoying. I will windex the windshield in the area where the cameras are to see if it helps.

My old school '18 Model 3 with HW 2.5 does NOT do this.

Upvote 0
I just took a 4 hour road trip in my 2020 MY and OMG this was so unbelievably annoying. Weather was perfect, 70Degrees, sunny, to partly overcast but not a drop of rain. I initiated TACC in the first part of my trip and the windshield wipers started going furiously. I got annoyed enough to turn it (TACC) off. I tried again about 3o minutes later and the wipers were going intermittently, got annoyed and turned it (TACC) off. About an hour later I tried for the third time and the wipers didn't come on! The car was then parked for a few hours and on the return trip home, same deal. I actually tried to ignore it for a while, but the dry wipers squeaking across the dry glass started to grate on my nerves, so...I turned it off. This feels like one of those "fixes" for a problem that didn't exist before. Now one of the few features I really enjoyed about the car is pretty much ruined. Bummer...

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
Yes mine does it too. And i agree it’s because it forces auto wipers when on AP. So any dust or bug splats up by the rear view Camera it will detect as possible rain. I had a sun strip put on and they had some droplet spots dried on inside of the windshield from when they squirted up the windshield to install it, so i need to take that down and clean it good from inside. One of these days I’ll do it, but anytime from outside if any spots in bright light it will do this. Hoping they can fix that in future update to not turn on so easily. We’ll see.

Upvote 0
This is absolutely maddening. It’s unbelievable that I can’t use the cruise control, let alone autopilot. Even if I start my trip with a clean windshield, it gets dirty again while driving.
I requested service to get this fixed and was told that “Autowipers are still in Beta . . .and may activate when not expected . . .” and that when I manually override the system that data is used to train the system further.
Autopilot worked when we bought the MY. I don’t understand why Tesla messed this up so badly.

Upvote 0
This is absolutely maddening. It’s unbelievable that I can’t use the cruise control, let alone autopilot. Even if I start my trip with a clean windshield, it gets dirty again while driving.
I requested service to get this fixed and was told that “Autowipers are still in Beta . . .and may activate when not expected . . .” and that when I manually override the system that data is used to train the system further.
Autopilot worked when we bought the MY. I don’t understand why Tesla messed this up so badly.
When they eliminated the use of the radar as part of the AP suite, this is when it happened. Keeping the camera area clean is more important now.

Upvote 0