Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers Turning to Manual from Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, what you describe is the "standard" Tesla wiper operation mode.
It swipes way too little, way too much, or way too whimsically to keep them in Auto mode.

Yeah - keep them in "off" mode, until it starts raining.
Adjust your "on" settings as appropriate for the conditions - Auto, or some other setting. Then turn them back "off", as necessary.

All of this would have been way easier if Model 3 had real wiper stalks. But Tesla is too cheap for that.

a
Man, your posts clearly indicate you are not a fan of Tesla. You take every opportunity to bash.
Which model do you own. How long have you had it. ?
can I ask what happened to turn you to this state ?

No. I am not mistaken. While the car is on cruise control( not auto pilot) the wiper is wiping for no reasons and you no way can turn the wipers off!!. Brought the car in to Tesla shop and they know about this problem. Software BUG! The software is in BETA mode for a few years! This happens intermittently they said but it happened to us on our first long driving trip from southern to Northern California. We simply could not use cruise control!
every-time the car goes under the overpass, the wipers is activated as the camera see shade and mistake rain! weird!

I also hope those of you buying 2023 model Y know that the car has no sensors. Don’t wait for chimes! you might hit something.

Reactions: Andrej5
I think you're slightly mistaken. The wipers can be off if autopilot is engaged. It's just that if you turn them on while autopilot is on engaged you can't turn them back off. You would have to disengage autopilot, turn the wipers off, then reengage autopilot. But admittedly, that's a stupid work flow.
Stupid work flow seems to be a feature of a lot of automation. I will be taking a trip in the rain today and will try this out.

Just a few days ago I lost the argument with my very recently purchased M3RWD about when the wipers should be on. I kept mashing the button and shouting "Wipers OFF!" but the sullen, silent and obstinate thing just ignored me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimburnett
It was less than 3 miles from the SC where I had just taken delivery of my M3RWD that I discovered some of the car's idiosyncrasies. As I drove into a patch of dappled shade the wiper started flailing wildly. Not more than a block later in another patch of shade the car suddenly braked for no reason apparent to me. I'm sure the guy behind me thought I was a complete moron. The hour and a half drive home was nerve wracking as I had no clue as to what the stupid thing might do next. With all the YT reviews had I watched you would think I would have been better prepared for the experience.

Stupid work flow seems to be a feature of a lot of automation. I will be taking a trip in the rain today and will try this out.

Just a few days ago I lost the argument with my very recently purchased M3RWD about when the wipers should be on. I kept mashing the button and shouting "Wipers OFF!" but the sullen, silent and obstinate thing just ignored me.
Elon's fetish for using voice control is another idiotic idea that has been DOA.

Now, grain of salt.. new to the car and all.

I was having this issue too. I don't know how things "were" in previous versions.

I can understand that wipers can (and should) be tied to autopilot for safety reasons. And, because the car doesn't have a "dumb" cruise control, I also see that extending to TACC. (If the spot right infront of a lens is obstruted by rain, it also won't see the car that stopped more in front)

I live in a frozen wasteland, full of ice and salt. I did a deep-cleaning of my windshield there - windex. It got a thin layer of grime off that area that was otherwise invisible to me (As it was out of my line of sight). I haven't had phantom wipes since.

Now, the sensitivity can likely be addressed in a future update - but I'd reckon that many people with issues simply have a dirty window.

I think you're slightly mistaken. The wipers can be off if autopilot is engaged. It's just that if you turn them on while autopilot is on engaged you can't turn them back off. You would have to disengage autopilot, turn the wipers off, then reengage autopilot. But admittedly, that's a stupid work flow.
Actually, I stand corrected. You CANNOT turn the wipers off when autopilot is engaged. I tested this in recent rainy weather and watched the indicator switch from OFF to AUTO when I engaged autopilot. Very stupid way to have it work since the auto sensing is generally garbage.

Reactions: Kimburnett
It was less than 3 miles from the SC where I had just taken delivery of my M3RWD that I discovered some of the car's idiosyncrasies. As I drove into a patch of dappled shade the wiper started flailing wildly. Not more than a block later in another patch of shade the car suddenly braked for no reason apparent to me. I'm sure the guy behind me thought I was a complete moron. The hour and a half drive home was nerve wracking as I had no clue as to what the stupid thing might do next. With all the YT reviews had I watched you would think I would have been better prepared for the experience.
What I don't like is the wipers go to Auto when on cruise control, with no way to turn them off.

Absolutely agree. I can not See this pairs with cruise control. Buggy software! There is a need to be to turn it off in cruise control. Please fix the software.
Not to be a Tesla apologist… but it is TACC, not CC. It requires cameras to see how far from traffic it is. It requires a clean window to see traffic.

Try cleaning the window by the cameras. Once I took windex and a paper towel it cleaned up my overachieving wipers. Even though the windows may look clean. I haven’t had an issue since (3 weeks)

Like most Tesla owners, I have set the wipers to Auto. But there are instances when I need to give a voice command to 'Turn wipers on'. But the problem is that wipers keep going on when there's no need or there's no moisture on the windshield until I command again to 'Turn wipers off'. The command stops wipers alright but it also takes them off from the Auto setting. This necessitates going back to Control and setting the wipers to Auto again. Is there a remedy for this?
I can't get mine to stop with audible command to stop wipers when I'm in auto pilot. Works fine when I'm not. But whenever I'm in autopilot, the wipers run continuously.

Auto wipers isn’t new technology. Why does tesla have such a bad implementation? I had the same issue but one additional more. The other day was raining really hard and i was going up on a steep slope and the wider suddenly stopped working. I needed to manually engaged it.

Thought I was the only one but the other day making a turn at night on a clear night wipers come on!! Ugh. I had them on auto mode. I eventually just set them to off. This is a annoying thing to have on 50k+ car.
I just got back from a trip, and drove home at night. It was dry and warm. The wipers kept coming on, despite no rain. The voice command 'wipers off' would sometimes stop them for a while, but then they would start wiping again. Very annoying. There apparently is no way to make them stop. Using the screen controls does not stop them. Tesla Y LR 2023 without FSD. Seems like a good way to scratch your window glass and wear out good wiper blades.