Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers won't freaking stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes the auto wiper feature thinks it's supposed to wipe when there's no rain and I can't get it to stop.

Finally I shouted "STOP THE F-ING WIPERS!" and it did.

But I'd like to be able to leave it in auto mode and not have it trigger falsely, and if it does then I'd like to be able to turn the damn thing off.

Suggestions? Is it just me?

I have the opposite issue after installing 2021.36.5,1 a few days ago. The wipers now are very slow to kick on and, when they're on, the frequency is too low. It's been rainy quite heavily in my neck of the woods in the past few days and this problem bugs me tremendously.

Anyone noticing the same issue with 2021.36.5.1?

<Rant> The firmware updates since late 2020 were all extremely underwhelming, some even aggravating (like this wiper issue and when they changed the UI layout). I miss the good old days when updates really meant upgrades with features like dashcam, sentry mode, performance boost, etc. </Rant>

Reactions: BigNick
You can set the wipers to off using the wipers control card...
which reminds I did just that the other day and forgot to clean the windshield and turn them back on.

By "card" you mean the page on the touchscreen?

That made them go faster! Seems like a bug.

But again, shouting "TURN OFF THE F-ING WIPERS!" really did work - and she transcribed it correctly, no "ducking" like iPhones do. :)

• Funny
Reactions: flstcgranucci
By "card" you mean the page on the touchscreen?

That made them go faster! Seems like a bug.

But again, shouting "TURN OFF THE F-ING WIPERS!" really did work - and she transcribed it correctly, no "ducking" like iPhones do. :)

There are two "cards" (Tesla's term) in the touch screen UI. To reveal one, you have to swipe left or right at about the right speed in about the right section of the screen just below the digital twin of the car.

One card has the wiper controls: off, 1, 2, 3, 4, auto. The other card shows the odometer, trip meters, and cumulative energy data.

Did you click the voice input button first or just shout into the wind?

I have the opposite issue after installing 2021.36.5,1 a few days ago. The wipers now are very slow to kick on and, when they're on, the frequency is too low. It's been rainy quite heavily in my neck of the woods in the past few days and this problem bugs me tremendously.

Anyone noticing the same issue with 2021.36.5.1?

<Rant> The firmware updates since late 2020 were all extremely underwhelming, some even aggravating (like this wiper issue and when they changed the UI layout). I miss the good old days when updates really meant upgrades with features like dashcam, sentry mode, performance boost, etc. </Rant>
Mine has been quite bad lately as well. It was after one or the recent updates, though I think it was before 2021.36.5.1. Now a day the autowiper barely comes on, and when it does, it goes like crazy. This is where I really hate the touchscreen control, as it can be a pain to adjust the wiper speed manually during a long drive in intermittent rain and lots of traffic.

I just updated to 2021.36.8 a few days ago and now they randomly come on and windshield is bone dry. Where are the sensors so I can see if something is dirty? Had to manually turn them off. 🤬

I had this happen today too. Twenty minute drive, was two blocks from home, when the wipers suddenly turned on at a fast speed. Also on 36.8. No rain, it was partly sunny.

The rain/wiper sensor is the middle camera on the windshield...just in front of the mirror.

I had this happen today too. Twenty minute drive, was two blocks from home, when the wipers suddenly turned on at a fast speed. Also on 36.8. No rain, it was partly sunny.

Another drive today, it's dry and sunny, and the wipers came on several times. I had cleaned the windshield area where the cameras are before I left home. Finally turned the wipers off.

I've occasionally been getting a "left pillar camera" blocked message too. Usually goes away after a minute or two.

Another drive today, it's dry and sunny, and the wipers came on several times. I had cleaned the windshield area where the cameras are before I left home. Finally turned the wipers off.

I've occasionally been getting a "left pillar camera" blocked message too. Usually goes away after a minute or two.

I've seen the camera blocked message twice, and both times it really was blocked by condensation. The moral of the story is to wipe off the cameras. I just used my hand - no big deal.

But actually, the car probably should tell you before you start driving.

It's the supply chain, this time, the short supply of good software developers who will work for peanuts.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
Sometimes the auto wiper feature thinks it's supposed to wipe when there's no rain and I can't get it to stop.

Finally I shouted "STOP THE F-ING WIPERS!" and it did.

But I'd like to be able to leave it in auto mode and not have it trigger falsely, and if it does then I'd like to be able to turn the damn thing off.

Suggestions? Is it just me?
This happens to me on my 2018 Model 3 frequently. It’s been 4 years since the Model 3 debuted. They still can’t seem to be able to fix the issue. Bloody hate it when it happens.

My 2013 S uses no cameras but rain sensors to do the same thing. Never had any issues.

Reactions: nickbatz
I picked up my Model Y in September but haven't driven much on the highway until yesterday. Using Autosteer to my destination in the daylight went fine, except for one random phantom brake episode. On the way home, at night, Autosteer seemed to start this random (quite random) windshield activity. So I just went to Cruise control only... but the wipers started up again. My daughter was helping me problem solve (she found those cards by swiping left and right... clever girl) but the "wipers off" button was grey and not accessible. I had to turn off cruise control to then get the "wipers off" button to work. Clean car and windshield, no moisture anywhere. I'm gathering this is a not uncommon software bug? Annoying (because apparently I cannot keep a steady speed by myself...)

I picked up my Model Y in September but haven't driven much on the highway until yesterday. Using Autosteer to my destination in the daylight went fine, except for one random phantom brake episode. On the way home, at night, Autosteer seemed to start this random (quite random) windshield activity. So I just went to Cruise control only... but the wipers started up again. My daughter was helping me problem solve (she found those cards by swiping left and right... clever girl) but the "wipers off" button was grey and not accessible. I had to turn off cruise control to then get the "wipers off" button to work. Clean car and windshield, no moisture anywhere. I'm gathering this is a not uncommon software bug? Annoying (because apparently I cannot keep a steady speed by myself...)

I doubt the windshield is connected to Autosteer.

Luckily, living in the desert, I can keep the wipers in 20th century mode (manual). When I've actually had reason to try the auto mode, the response was terrible. That said, for me at least, really small wart on a really cool machine. 😎

Reactions: Sporty
Status
Not open for further replies.