Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers won't freaking stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a question….if the wipers are on (not auto) do they stop when car is parked and driver walks away from car? I’m pretty sure mine continue wiping even in park and I’ve gotten in the habit of manually turning them off before I leave the car.

And my wipers are magically working again. Still on 2021.44.6 that was giving me issue up until last night. Not sure what changed…

Next time the wipers go whacky, try capturing dashcam video for review. Esp. if it captures the same camera that triggers the wipers, it might show visual artifacts that the neural net mishandles. If the service folks are up to the task, they'd at least send the video and contemporary log data to the dev or QA team for analysis.

It'd be great if the car could capture the relevant image every time we press the manual wipe button, which is a signal for tuning the auto-wiper neural net.

Reactions: Scelto and PhantomX
Sometimes the auto wiper feature thinks it's supposed to wipe when there's no rain and I can't get it to stop.

Finally I shouted "STOP THE F-ING WIPERS!" and it did.

But I'd like to be able to leave it in auto mode and not have it trigger falsely, and if it does then I'd like to be able to turn the damn thing off.

Suggestions? Is it just me?
It's not just you. Happen very often. The AI gets confused on many situations.

Reactions: nickbatz
What is the Tesla logic to detect rain?

The logic on my 2004 BMW is that it has a sensor that processes the data, sends it over the Internet to BMW's cloud processing data center in Munich, where it gets analyzed by artificial intelligence robots that ping weather satellites to determine whether it's ****ing raining...

Actually it's a sensor that gets blocked with water drops. The more it's blocked, the faster the wipers go. When you stop at a light, the wipers slow down.

And it does what you want 99.9% of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
The logic on my 2004 BMW is that it has a sensor that processes the data, sends it over the Internet to BMW's cloud processing data center in Munich, where it gets analyzed by artificial intelligence robots that ping weather satellites to determine whether it's ****ing raining...

Actually it's a sensor that gets blocked with water drops. The more it's blocked, the faster the wipers go. When you stop at a light, the wipers slow down.

And it does what you want 99.9% of the time.
I know the BMW logic. I have one too. The issue with BMW logic is refraction. Use a thicker aftermarket windshield and it is unable to detect rain. Happened to me. Had to go back and get an original BMW windshield for the rain sensor to work again.

Reactions: nickbatz
By the way, the latest software has a great feature (at least I only discovered it after the latest software): hit the single-wipe button at the end of the turn signal stem and a windshield wiper panel appears on the touchscreen, where you can adjust the speed.

I don't want to get into the therapy argument. I'll just say that when the AI wiper system goes crazy, I set it to manual which removes the danger out of it. I see the automatic wiper system as "available when it feels like it", which is a bummer, but the danger side of it can be alleviated easily.

Expect for when you need to run the wipers. It invariably requires dealing with the screen at some point.

At least until the Auto feature works well, I’d love an option to pin a wiper control card to be always open. That would make driving in wet weather easier.

Reactions: GSP and Transformer
Just a follow up. Talked to the service center and turns out that only thing they can do is test whether the wiper issue is due to a worn wiper motor. Other than that, they will just report the issue to engineering and hope it gets addressed. Looks like I just have to hope one of the future releases will fix the wiper...

It’s been this way for a few years now

Next time the wipers go whacky, try capturing dashcam video for review. Esp. if it captures the same camera that triggers the wipers, it might show visual artifacts that the neural net mishandles. If the service folks are up to the task, they'd at least send the video and contemporary log data to the dev or QA team for analysis.

It'd be great if the car could capture the relevant image every time we press the manual wipe button, which is a signal for tuning the auto-wiper neural net.

I read ( eg unverified) that the camera it’s using is not focused on the windowsheild but is instead one the cameras used for driving. So it’s trying to detect rain drops without the ability to reallly see them.

Again: Tesla set out to reinvent the wheel. Most of the time they succeeded in improving it, but this is one of the misses.
I did use the Dash Cam feature to record the windshield condition when it auto wipes and when I had to override, and I seriously can't see any difference in the camera views. There are rain drops in the video, but it's barely visible. Perhaps the computer is better at figuring it out than our eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.