Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wire gauge (AWG) for HPWC (Telsa Wall Connector)

Does your installation use 4, 6 or "other" gauge wire?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all,

I believe 6 gauge, stranded, is all one needs for a 60 amp circuit with 48 amps continues draw (HPWC) - for distances less than a certain amount of feet. My installation will be 35 running feet of wire from my main panel and I was thinking of going with 4 gauge wire (actually 4/3 cable) instead of the 6 gauge equivalent. I'm curious to know what you (or your electrician) used for your installation. Please state # of feet and whether you or your electrician did the install! Happy 48 Amps to you all!

HPWC.PNG
no, 100 A circuit with 80A output is max. I charge at 72A which is the max for my car.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm incorrect that my new M3 is limited to a 60 amp circuit / 48 amp draw... Anyone know for sure? I would love to bump it up to 80-100 amps. My HPWC is a Gen 2, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Ah, max per car is 48 amps, for sharing, you can wire for multiple Tesla's. Guess I'll go with the 4 gauge wire - future proofing...

Reactions: Kleenerth3
You are limited to 48a on M3 ..in my case early S had dual charger to get max 80a (why I did 100a) ..now on X I can only go up to 72a

Only reason to bump to 100a is if you want to load share on future with another WC the gen 2 can load share up to 3 WCs

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm incorrect that my new M3 is limited to a 60 amp circuit / 48 amp draw... Anyone know for sure? I would love to bump it up to 80-100 amps. My HPWC is a Gen 2, if that makes a difference.
You're not. In the past, there have been Teslas that could do 72a and 80a charging, but the highest current models can do is 48a.

6 gauge should be good.

3 years ago I wired an EVSE for my non-Tesla EV. Needed 8 gauge for a 40A circuit (32A EVSE) but over-spec’d the wire to 6 gauge to future proof it for possible Tesla Wall Connector in the future.

In another house (my friend was building) we had the electrician run 2 gauge to the garage for a 100A subpanel to really future proof for multiple Wall Connectors (if needed one day).

The charger is inside the car, that's what limits the max charge power. The wall connector is just an extension cord to provide safe power to the internal charger. For a 60A circuit NEC says you'd need #6 copper. Most of the time #4 THHN is barely more than #6, and its not really any harder to run. So it gives you a smidge more margin for a buck. Unless you have very low electrical demand otherwise, I wouldn't run a pair of wall connectors on anything but a 60A breaker anyways. If you only have 100A service, 48A consumption is about the highest load you'd want to put on it anyways. In some homes that will be enough to overload the mains with A/C running.

Reactions: RScottyL and jebinc
My M3 SR charges at 30a on a 40a circuit using 8ga NM cable (Romex) wire. Since the SR only does 32a max charging, it's all that's needed. It's the third generation of EV (LEAF, Rav4EV, Model 3) to charge on that circuit and EVSE.

20190608_155121.jpg

I just installed a shiny new 14-50 on a 50a circuit. It uses 6ga THHN wire in conduit and could be upgraded to 60a with just a breaker change (and removing the outlet). It charges my Rav4EV at 40a.

20190528_110108.jpg 20190608_155322.jpg

BTW, the answer to your question in the OP is that 6ga wire is fine for a 60a circuit if it's individual wires in conduit, but if you use NM cable (Romex) then it requires 4ga.

Last edited:
My M3 SR charges at 30a on a 40a circuit using 8ga Romex wire. Since the SR only does 32a max charging, It's all that's needed. It's the third generation of EV (LEAF, Rav4EV, Model 3) to charge on that circuit and EVSE.

View attachment 426693

I just installed a shiny new 14-50 on a 50a circuit. It uses 6ga THHN wire in conduit and could be upgraded to 60a with just a breaker change (and removing the outlet). It charges my Rav4EV at 40a.

View attachment 426699

BTW, the answer to your question in the OP is that 6ga wire is fine for a 60a circuit if it's individual wires in conduit, but if you use NM cable (Romex) then it requires 4ga.

Thanks! I'm going with 4 AWG stranded cable (4/3).

Reactions: Kleenerth3