Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wire payment from US Bank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I recently moved to Canada. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the vehicle via wire transfer from a US bank? I heard contradictory info from the reps, one says they only accept wire from Canadian bank, the other says it is not possible or on case by case basis.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance

Hi! I recently moved to Canada. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the vehicle via wire transfer from a US bank? I heard contradictory info from the reps, one says they only accept wire from Canadian bank, the other says it is not possible or on case by case basis.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance
Not the same but when I bought a car in the us to bring back to Canada I paid most with a wire transfer, to a dealership. Given the correct account information it is certainly possible, but if they restrict you from doing this it’s probably because the unpredictable amount of time it takes to clear the funds. When I did it it took almost a full week to land in the destination account. Considering that, either you give Tesla the money well in advance of your delivery, or they have to keep the car sitting on the lot while your funds clear, which is probably why they will do what they can to not be put in that position..
I wonder though if you could just pay them directly in their USA bank for delivery in Canada?? Probably complicated as well.

Err.. just thought of this, why don’t you just transfer yourself the funds into a Canadian bank account? Then you can get a bank draft drawn on a Canadian bank, which they will accept. You just have to do it over a week before delivery.
That way you only hand them the cheque when you are happy with the car they deliver.

Reactions: mrElbe
Thanks for the detailed response.
I wouldn’t mind paying in advance and don’t see why they wouldn’t allow foreign wires except that it would be a little inconvenient for them. Every other dealership would allow that.
I just hope the Tesla agents won’t hide behind a corporate policy and refuse to be flexible, after all the agents don’t seem to be paid in commission like a traditional dealer.
Anyone else successfully paid by foreign wire?

Ps. If all fails I would have to wire myself first then pay Tesla. Problem is that I’ve heard Canadian banks take a long time to evaluate transfers of 30k+ if you are a new resident, and also potentially mark your account as at risk for money laundering. So it’s much easier for me to make a direct payment to merchant.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus