Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wire size for wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience the effect of charging in colder weather, at least at 6kW (30 amp and ~200V), on battery warming is limited. When temperatures are at or below 32F(0C), after charging for 90 minutes+ , my 2020 LRMY will initiate ~15 minutes of battery warming while preconditioning after the charging session. I would have to conduct several tests; charging for shorter periods at these temperatures and observe if the battery warming cycle is appreciably longer than ~15 minutes. I'm not referring to battery warming via stator heating that will take place in lower temperatures prior to charging, only the effect of charging on the temperature of the battery pack.

• Informative
Reactions: MY-Y
Hi - I'm a new EV owner and while I have skimmed through all the 18 pages of this thread :) , I'm unsure if I have a definite answer. So here's the question :
a) I'm planning on installing a third party charger (Emporia)
b) I have new 200A "dedicated" new panel in the basement out of which the circuits will be pulled to attached garage one level up. I'm planning on doing at least two chargers initially.
c) The Emporia can charge at a max speed of 48A.
d) Chargepoint can go higher but it can take wiring only of #6.
e) I'd ideally like to get full 48A and I'm still confused about wiring.
f) #6 THHN can handle 60A breaker but it needs to run in conduit which is not an option due to mutiple walls and floor difference involved.
g) Romex 6/3 or 6/2 is rated 55A but only for 44A continuous (for EV charging) and can go only 50A breaker which will reduce the charging speed to 40A max.
h) Unsure if MC 6/3 or MC 6/2 meets the code standard to be on 60A breaker. If this works then I can go this route.
i) If nothing works then Romex on 50A breaker is what I'll go about.

Please provide any feedback.

MC wire is THHN, no conduit required. For residential applications use the 75C ampacity rating, for MC #6 the rating is 65A as the other components in the home's wiring are only rated for 75C.) Use only metal junction boxes with MC. There are specific restrictions on where MC can be run.

You might be better off installing a 125 amp sub panel in the garage.

Working With Metal-Clad (MC) Cable

Wiring With MC – WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN’T DO WITH MC CABLE – Electrician U – Training for Electricians, by Electricians

Last edited:
f) #6 THHN can handle 60A breaker but it needs to run in conduit which is not an option due to mutiple walls and floor difference involved.
g) Romex 6/3 or 6/2 is rated 55A but only for 44A continuous (for EV charging) and can go only 50A breaker which will reduce the charging speed to 40A max.
Right, all of those are true.
h) Unsure if MC 6/3 or MC 6/2 meets the code standard to be on 60A breaker. If this works then I can go this route.
MC wire is THHN, no conduit required.
I guess another way to look at it is that the flexible outer metal shell effectively is like its own "conduit" included. So it's easy to mount like Romex because it's flexible but does have the good heat dissipation like metal conduit.

@jcanoe and @Rocky_H - your response is much appreciated. I'm about couple of weeks away from starting the installation and I'm going to ask my contractor to look into the MC cable option. I'll keep posting as I go along. Thanks !
MC wire is THHN, no conduit required. For residential applications use the 75C ampacity rating, for MC #6 the rating is 65A as the other components in the home's wiring are only rated for 75C.) Use only metal junction boxes with MC. There are specific restrictions on where MC can be run.

You might be better off installing a 125 amp sub panel in the garage.

Working With Metal-Clad (MC) Cable

Wiring With MC – WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN’T DO WITH MC CABLE – Electrician U – Training for Electricians, by Electricians

Reactions: TBrownTX
Thanks for the inputs. I finally completed my summer long EVSE installation project
smile.gif
. I have two Emporia chargers, each hard wired using 60A breaker and 6/2 metal clad cable for full 48A charging simultaneously. I have enough capacity to add a third charger in future.

Attachments

• 20230906_180653.jpg
    20230906_180653.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 89
Looping back to thank you all again for all the insights in this thread - really generous of you all to patiently and painstakingly respond at length with laymen's terms/explanations. I ended up pulling the 60A breaker and put in a 50A breaker. I re-commissioned the Tesla V3WC to a 50A breaker (40A charge). Based on my charge needs, I may reduce that further. It's fun to say you can charge super fast at home - but I'm not sure I actually need to charge super fast at home. I'd rather avoid stressing my equipment in favor of a charge rate that still fully (80%) charges my Tesla within the timeframe I need. While at home - it's really not hard to accomplish that.

I pick up my MYLR tomorrow - I'll loop back here over time and try to pay it back.
Just saying...I have 55ft 6/3 romex on a 60A breaker and the latest Tesla charger. My X is happy charging at 48A which was set automatically by the Tesla gods.

Reactions: Sage Brush
Just saying...I have 55ft 6/3 romex on a 60A breaker and the latest Tesla charger. My X is happy charging at 48A which was set automatically by the Tesla gods.
In the US non-metallic B (NM-B), also known as Romex, is rated for temperatures up to 60 Celsius. In Canada, the equivalent non-metallic sheathed wire is NMD-90 (rated for 90 Celsius). US NM-B, 6 gauge wire is rated for 55 amps, should not be used on a 60 amp circuit. The maximum amperage of NMD-90, 6 gauge wire is 65 amps, can be used with circuits rated for 60 amps.

In the US non-metallic B (NM-B), also known as Romex, is rated for temperatures up to 60 Celsius. In Canada, the equivalent non-metallic sheathed wire is NMD-90 (rated for 90 Celsius). US NM-B, 6 gauge wire is rated for 55 amps, should not be used on a 60 amp circuit. The maximum amperage of NMD-90, 6 gauge wire is 65 amps, can be used with circuits rated for 60 amps.
Fortunately, I'm in Ontario!