Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired Article: Feds Say Just One Car Out of 100 Will Be Electric in 2040

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only once I read that magazine a few years ago, and had more ad pages than reports, and much of that advertising was by car companies. And precisely I read that magazine because in the cover story was about the future of hydrogen and automotive was told that in a few years all car works with hydrogen and pollution would end. That was about 10 years ago, and hydrogen does nothing but confirm it was always a scam.

So when will we pass 1% of new car sales with pure electric vehicles? Between Tesla and the Nissan Leaf it looks like we're close to 0.25% for this year. Next year? Two years from now? Or will it take a whole three years?

This profound lack of imagination is exactly why Tesla's stock went from $35 to $150 in a matter of a few months once it was discovered how many people would actually buy one. Just sayin'.

I wonder what these studies said about hybrids a few years before the Prius took off?

So what are the sales numbers going to be once Tesla has a $35,000 car that goes > 200 miles on a charge without having to pay for the ever increasing price of gasoline? That's the part of this study that really got me: That most cars will still drive on gasoline. By 2040 I think there's going to be some serious sticker shock at the price per gallon.

And to defend Wired: They are just quoting the federal study. On the other hand, a magazine about the future should add some "futurist" perspective on that study (such as how ridiculous that assumptions made in that study really are).