TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wired Article: Feds Say Just One Car Out of 100 Will Be Electric in 2040

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mcornwell, Dec 27, 2013.

1. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I wonder who paid for that analysis :)

3. GSP

GSP Member

US taxpayers of course. How astute we are with our purchaces. :rolleyes:

GSP

4. Tharo

Tharo Member

Only once I read that magazine a few years ago, and had more ad pages than reports, and much of that advertising was by car companies. And precisely I read that magazine because in the cover story was about the future of hydrogen and automotive was told that in a few years all car works with hydrogen and pollution would end. That was about 10 years ago, and hydrogen does nothing but confirm it was always a scam.

5. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

So when will we pass 1% of new car sales with pure electric vehicles? Between Tesla and the Nissan Leaf it looks like we're close to 0.25% for this year. Next year? Two years from now? Or will it take a whole three years?

6. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

This study is very wrong.

7. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

This profound lack of imagination is exactly why Tesla's stock went from $35 to $150 in a matter of a few months once it was discovered how many people would actually buy one. Just sayin'.

I wonder what these studies said about hybrids a few years before the Prius took off?

So what are the sales numbers going to be once Tesla has a $35,000 car that goes > 200 miles on a charge without having to pay for the ever increasing price of gasoline? That's the part of this study that really got me: That most cars will still drive on gasoline. By 2040 I think there's going to be some serious sticker shock at the price per gallon.

And to defend Wired: They are just quoting the federal study. On the other hand, a magazine about the future should add some "futurist" perspective on that study (such as how ridiculous that assumptions made in that study really are).