TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wired article on 4th and 5th Tesla vehicles

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by mcornwell, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Another important quote from the article:

“In a lot of respects, it’ll be a scaled down Model S,” Musk told Wired. “Something like 20 to 25 percent smaller than the Model S.” It will also include the same hatchback design as Tesla’s current sedan.

Though the last part wasn't in quotes.

3. action7981

action7981 Member

Four new vehicle launches in 3yrs (X=2014, Midsize=2015, Crossover & Roadster2=2016) is very aggressive, I hope they can pull it off!

I'm thinking a capital raise is most definately needed to meet this timeline.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they address the rear headroom issue though (which a mini-Model S might not).

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So that smaller CUV would be on the GenIII/bluestar platform?

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Tesla has a lot coming up in the next few years. Tesla will have to ramp up it's work force, it's production line and it's quality control to meet these aggressive build dates. Good luck and continue to shock the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Great question Mod

7. Vger

Vger Active Member

The smaller CUV might really fit our needs way better than Model X. Hope they give some better idea of it before commitment to Model X is required.

It would seem sensible for it to be on Gen III platform, but with higher ride height, and hopefully AWD!

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I see myself finally getting into proper Tesla ownership when Gen III comes around.
    As much as I love it, Roadster1 was just out of my price range.
    Model S is just more car (too big) than I need.
    Gen III will likely be "just right".
    *but*, now I am a bit conflicted about which variant.
    The LEAF I have now is basically the right size, and has good utility (for a family of 4 with modest cargo needs), but I could possibly justify getting myself a 2 seat sports car (wife always has a 4+ seater when needed) if it was way more fun than the sedan & CUV. But if the sedan & CUV were plenty sporty I might be tempted to take the added utility instead of ultimate sportiness. Heck, Model S is already proving that a big luxo sedan can be quite sporty with the full Tesla treatment. So, I will likely be "cross shopping" all the gen 3 variants trying to figure out which one is the best compromise (sporty vs utility vs price vs styling vs comfort vs etc.) I used to have a "low slung sportscar or bust" mindset, but actually matured in my thought process to the point that I appreciate some things in a taller vehicle like better forward visibility and easier ingress/egress. If the CUV has sportcar like handling (low center of gravity), and some benefits of AWD not available on the other models I might get swayed. But it will have to really stand out as the style and efficiency (bigger frontal area) will likely suffer compared to the pure sports car. I am looking forward to seeing what Tesla comes up with for all 3 so that I can contemplate which one is right.

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Midsize=2015 ~ smaller Model S =? GenIII?

That sounds like a pretty nice car imho.

10. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Okay, both my wife and are apparently really clueless. Can someone explain (by PM if you prefer) why the name Model E is a sex joke???

11. Hache

Hache Member

Because there would be model S, model E, and model X. :wink:

Add model Y for the new roadster, and Tesla would be pretty sexy :wink:

12. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

#12 Incredulocious, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    I hear ya! Though I would add that the Roadster was also too small. I tried sitting in it and had the frame of the windshield in my line-of-sight – of course, that was with the roof off!

Anyway... sweet news on their future plans! Any one of those could work for me: a 25% smaller Model S, a compact crossover, or a normal-sized sports car... ha, maybe even any two! Bring 'em on! (Please!)

13. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Doh !

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Does not sound like the design team or R&D is being scaled back at all.

15. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

That's HOT!

16. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I did not see that coming. I was like "Sex joke??" ... :eek:/

When Elon said Model "E" I just assumed he meant "electric" and I was wondering why he was laughing . . .

- - - Updated - - -

There's no way Elon will ditch his engineering team. Though I've hypothesized that Elon might need to shift more of their compensation to stock options for the next few months to get past the cash crunch. If they're like me they'll work for Cheeto's and Diet Coke if you promise them stock options at the end of the rainbow.

17. Vexar

Vexar Member

That's not how the song goes!
    It's "Fritos, Tab, and Mountain Dew."

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/chords/code-monkey/