Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired.DE photo of 3 under a cloak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been up for a bit. Did someone post it and I missed it?

model-3-cloaked-wired-e1459347870952.png

Reactions: jame521
Resembles the clay model seen way back pretty closely... Front of an infiniti g35- seems like there is a big emphasis on lots of big windows around the cabin... Don't see a seam atop the windshield, looks like the pano windshield made it..
Here we go!

Reactions: cdub
I'm like 95% sure this is the facelifted Model S expected to be revealed any day now. The overall shape is almost identical to the S, and the facelifted Model S is expected to have the Model X nose, just like the car under the cover. It might well be the Model X windshield too, it was a real success on the X, so implementing it on the S as part of the facelift makes complete sense.

Last edited:
I'm like 95% sure this is the facelifted Model S expected to be revealed any day now. The overall shape is almost identical to the S, and the facelifted Model S is expected to have the Model X nose, just like the car under the cover. It might well be the Model X windshield too, it was a real success on the X, so implementing it on the S as part of the facelift makes complete sense.

You may be right, but I'll have to disagree. It could be the effect of seeing it under a sheet, but the greenhouse looks taller and there is a distinct wheel arch flare at the rear that the Model S doesn't have. Either change would require substantial sheetmetal change and tooling cost as an update to the Model S. It's obviously hard to say for sure since it's hard to have a relative perspective on the car under the sheet, but I do believe it is the Model 3.

Can someone throw a black sheet on their model S and post a pic of it next to this thing? ;)

Seriously doubt it's a facelift model S.. Proportions are different. Plus the headlights seem more vertical than those on s and x.

Not sure how difficult windshield fabrication is, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that, once developed, you can churn them out at high speed, regardless of an extra foot or so of height.... This would really set the 3 apart though - I think they want to signal a shift to more visibility out of the cabin... Will make looking around more interesting, once the act of driving becomes more or less optional....
Id say chances are very good it actually is pano!

You may be right, but I'll have to disagree. It could be the effect of seeing it under a sheet, but the greenhouse looks taller and there is a distinct wheel arch flare at the rear that the Model S doesn't have. Either change would require substantial sheetmetal change and tooling cost as an update to the Model S. It's obviously hard to say for sure since it's hard to have a relative perspective on the car under the sheet, but I do believe it is the Model 3.
I just don't see what you see. I've tried showing what I see (pardon the crude drawing.):

model s comparison.png

There is however a slight bump at the back that doesn't fit with the curve - a spoiler, I think.

with the whole automotive world waiting in anticipation for the reveal of the Model 3, I doubt that they will take any thunder from it by talking about a facelifted Model S. Since that picture is in a Wired article about the Model 3, I think it's pretty safe to say it's the long awaited little Tesla under that cloth.

with the whole automotive world waiting in anticipation for the reveal of the Model 3, I doubt that they will take any thunder from it by talking about a facelifted Model S. Since that picture is in a Wired article about the Model 3, I think it's pretty safe to say it's the long awaited little Tesla under that cloth.
I don' see anyone from Tesla saying it's the Model 3 in the article. Wired.de knows there's a lot of interest in the Model 3 and are speculating that this is the Model 3 to generate publicity.

no, as wired.de clearly mentioned it is Model 3

• Disagree
Reactions: Tree95
the angle on the windshield is steeper on the covered vehicle, so I would say a 3. By the way not sure if people should want the large windshield of the X on the 3. My panoramic roof on the Range Rover cracked due to a chip and it was $2k to replace.

No matter what pictures they took, the article is legit. Publication date a day before the official reveal is not coincidence.

Here's the Google translated article:

Google Translate
As the article says, they went to the design center, took pictures and spoke to Franz. When they asked about what was under the cover, no one would talk about it.

Easy to see that they just filled in the blanks and arrived at it being the Model 3, when it's actually a Model S. And you're probably right that the timing isn't conincidental. They believed they had a Model 3 scoop and decided to publish the article when the excitement was as high as possible before the reveal.